Headphones for iPod at work/travel
Mar 6, 2005 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

suharsh

New Head-Fier
Yesterday got myself a mini-ipod. Which headphones go well with the iPod? I am planning to use the combination at work so the 'Open' type could be a problem. Since I also intend to use these for travel purpose, headphones needing an amp would be somewhat impracticable. Finally, I don't like the 'in-ear' or the 'canal' type headphones.

Looking for opinions in two budge categories - one the 'bang-for-buck' and the other 'price-no-object' category.

Thanks,

Suharsh

Mar 6, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #3 of 9
While on one level I agree with the A900 recommendation, I personally would be reluctant to wear them at work, given their size. I suppose it would depend upon the image you wish to convey.

If you're looking for something more modest in size, you might check out either the Sennheiser PX200s (and do some research as their is much division of opinion about their bass) or perhaps the new AKG K26P. Both of the foregoing are closed, much more discreet, and can be had for about $50 give or take.

I will allow others to weigh in on the price-no-object category.

Mar 6, 2005 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 9
Given the Mini's diminuative size, why carry around headphones? Maybe you should consider ear-buds (since you don't like canal phones). I would suggest the Sony MDR-E888LP, which is their top of the line model. It sounds very open, detailed, and balanced. Many reviews can be found with the search function. It's not available in the States, but you can order from Audio Cubes or from eBay.

Mar 7, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #6 of 9
For every day walking around get either the Koss PortaPro's. (awesome sound, 80's camp look) or the Senn PX-100 awesome sound, modern look.
Both fold up, but senn folds up much more conveniently. (PPs do come with a real lifetime warranty though)

PP's will run about 30, px100 about 40.

Or if you want slightly more portability, Koss makes the same drivers as the portapro's that have ear clips. thus they take up much less room to carry!

Mar 7, 2005 at 6:09 PM Post #7 of 9
Aren't the PX100 'open' design? iIf so, then listening at work (open cubicle), someone could possibly raise objection.

Oski - your idea is good, I should have been a little explicit what I meant by 'in-ear'. Actually I meant the ear-buds type.

It seems the choices are the Audio Technica, Senn PX200 and Koss Portas.

Let's see if there are any other reco's before I make that purchase.

Thanks to all.

Mar 7, 2005 at 8:07 PM Post #8 of 9
Sharp MD33s are very good with my 2G Mini. They are earbud/canal phones hybrids and dont go far into your ears at all, but isolates pretty okay and stays in better than earbuds. They're really not awkward or uncomfortable at all, you should try them, you'll love 'em.

Mar 8, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #9 of 9
Reiterate my sealed closed portable phones for:

- the bang: hd25-1, with velour pads
- the buck: dt231 (not that isolating)

My favorite for ipod is ultrasone hfi550, but they're more like full sized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back