Headphones for iPad-use - how many Ohm?
Jun 1, 2015 at 5:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

hbuus

Head-Fier
Should I pick a 32 or 42 Ohm headphone for use with my iPad, or can I go with a 80 Ohm?
I'm guessing 250 Ohm is out of the question because of the little amp that is inside the iPad, or ?

Thanks.

Jun 16, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #3 of 9
  Should I pick a 32 or 42 Ohm headphone for use with my iPad, or can I go with a 80 Ohm?
I'm guessing 250 Ohm is out of the question because of the little amp that is inside the iPad, or ?

Thanks.

Sensitivity is also important - a 32ohm, 85dB orthodynamic is probably still worse than a 300ohm, 97dB dynamic headphone. I sometimes use my Superlux HD330 with my iPad, 150ohms - no problems.

Jun 17, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #4 of 9
Sensitivity is also important - a 32ohm, 85dB orthodynamic is probably still worse than a 300ohm, 97dB dynamic headphone. I sometimes use my Superlux HD330 with my iPad, 150ohms - no problems.

+1

If you can tell us which headphones you are thinking of, we might be able to give you a better idea of whether or not the iPad can drive them OK.

Jun 17, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #5 of 9
Thanks everybody :)

I found some used B&W P7 headphones which I bought so it will be a while before I can afford more headphones.
But I was thinking about some of the closed-model Beyerdynamic headphones: DT 770 Pro, for instance.
It comes in various Ohm-versions which is confusing, at least to me.

Jun 17, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #6 of 9

I found some used B&W P7 headphones which I bought so it will be a while before I can afford more headphones.
But I was thinking about some of the closed-model Beyerdynamic headphones: DT 770 Pro, for instance.

IMO, the P7s are better than the DT770s. I wouldn't rush to buy them.

Jun 17, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #7 of 9

Even the HD600 at 300ohms doesn't suck driven by an iPad; the 5g iPod I had though was another matter entirely. It still sounds better with an amp, but during a power outage where an iPad is all I have, it's not too bad.

Jun 17, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #8 of 9
IMO, the P7s are better than the DT770s. I wouldn't rush to buy them.

Ok, thanks. I must say that after getting the P7s, new headphones are not at all a priority for me.
But knowing myself, then sooner or later I'll probably become curious enough to try and buy a different pair of phones :)

I love the sound of the P7s btw. - had a bunch of headphones home from a shop for testing and of these I liked the P7 the best.
Then I was lucky enough to find a 3 months old used pair for a reduced price.
So I'm happy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back