Headphones for intense workout
May 13, 2005 at 1:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ezra2323

Head-Fier
I'm checking out the Sony sports models and am wondering what is the best model (or other brand) based on the following criteria in order of importance

#1 non-ear bud style
#2 extremely light
#3 sound quality
#4 style and color (preferably white or silver)

I like my Apple ear buds enough for workout sound quality but ear buds do not stay in my ear when I run. I do not want over the ear cans because I will sweat all over them and they weigh too much. I'm open to suggestions.

Sound quality is not a huge deal for these phones becuase I have a pair of Sennheisers for serious listening.

I would like something though at least comparable to the Apple ear bud sound quality.

Thanks.

May 13, 2005 at 1:53 AM Post #4 of 14
Hi ezra2323,

Try some Nike PSA range. They are moisture prove and doesn't fall out easily.

Best of luck,
Overlunge

May 13, 2005 at 2:15 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by overlunge
Hi ezra2323,

Try some Nike PSA range. They are moisture prove and doesn't fall out easily.

Best of luck,
Overlunge

i agree.

May 13, 2005 at 2:44 AM Post #8 of 14
Since you did not rule out canal-phones, I will recommend the Shure E3c. The leads go up over your ears, and cinch behind your head. I add a collar clip and run the lead down my back under my shirt. Once set up I am unaware of the phones, except for the wonderful music, and the lack of loud percussive noises as people slam or drop weights. They will not fall out. The only down side is that you will not hear someone if they ask a question. If I pause the music I can understand most people, but I have to remove one of the phones for soft-spoken people.

gerG

May 13, 2005 at 7:14 AM Post #9 of 14
I'd second the e3s recommnedation. With the collar clip, they virtually disapper when I either jog or work out. My tips of choice are bi-flanged mod of shure's native triple-flanges.

May 13, 2005 at 9:32 AM Post #11 of 14
Hi all,

Being a big fan of Shure's canalphone, I can only recommend that you use them when you are running on treadmills, not while you are on the road... The isolation from ambiant noise can be dangerous.
eek.gif

And also the moisture/sweat while you run/workout can cause damage to the canalphones.

Best of luck,
Overlunge

May 13, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #12 of 14
overlunge, I certainly agree on the dangers of running or biking outdoors with canal phones on. I prefer to hear what is gaining on me
tongue.gif

I have never had any problem with sweat damage, though. The exterior of canal phones are typically very well sealed, so once they are in your ears, they are well protected (to the best of my knowledge, ear canals do not sweat). Care to dry off the outer ear before install or removal takes care of most moisture dangers. I would caution against installing them right after showering or swimming. Water in the ear canal can foul the filters.

It is important to stay alert when lifting weights with canal phones in. You won't hear someone ask for a spot, so it is important to keep an eye out for fellow lifters in trouble.

gerG

May 14, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #13 of 14
The sweat thing is something I'm concerned about before jumping into canalphones. My current setup while warming up for basketball or practicing is to use a pair of clipons... but they get SOAKED by the time I'm done. Considering they cost about $5 I'm not concerned if they ever get damaged from it. Expensive canalphones on the other hand... that I would get upset about. Better quality tunes would make individual shootarounds much more tolerable.

May 14, 2005 at 12:42 AM Post #14 of 14
READ: Your ear canals do not sweat. Decent canalphones are sealed. Don't put them in right after you get out of the shower or from swimming. Am I making sense here?

And as for riding, I agree, don't wear headphones, even open ones. Unless maybe you listen at very low volumes. Even with open cans on I tend to tune everything out to hear the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back