Headphones for Industrial, Rock, Electronica, Avant Garde?
Sep 24, 2002 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Black Aspic

New Head-Fier
As per the subject...maximum spending of $300, including amp, if so desired.

Currently I'm using the HD570 (due to finicial reasons) and they suit me well, although I have to max the volume on my portable CD player to get an acceptable level of sound...I can't imagine running higher impedence phones on my jack without an amp. They do sound quite good to my ears, mostly because I've never listened to anything better...they are a tad bright I guess, but they suit the music I listen to well enough. I bought and returned the Beyerdynamic DT-250-80's because they lacked the treble that I like (and it felt like my head was in a vice...).

I am looking to go to the proverbial "next level" with my headphones. Since I was pleased with the HD570, the HD590's seemed to be right for me, but the general opinion on these forums seems to be a dead split between the HD580's and 590's.

Here is what I need:
1. Great sound for the music that I listen to...I do NOT listen to classical often at all, but the stuff I do like is pretty avant garde and sonically diverse. I need detail, but I also want color and 'excitement', not just dead accuracy. I do have very good hearing and a good ear for music, it's just that classical isn't my cup of tea. Then again, I don't drink tea.

2. Comfort. The HD570's with their one-sided cord and comfortable cans have spoiled me rotten...

3. Price. $300 including amp maximum.

Whaddya think? HD590, HD 580, or another make/model altogether?

Sep 25, 2002 at 12:32 AM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Black Aspic
As per the subject...maximum spending of $300, including amp, if so desired.

Here is what I need:
1. Great sound for the music that I listen to...I do NOT listen to classical often at all, but the stuff I do like is pretty avant garde and sonically diverse. I need detail, but I also want color and 'excitement', not just dead accuracy. I do have very good hearing and a good ear for music, it's just that classical isn't my cup of tea. Then again, I don't drink tea.

2. Comfort. The HD570's with their one-sided cord and comfortable cans have spoiled me rotten...

3. Price. $300 including amp maximum.

Whaddya think? HD590, HD 580, or another make/model altogether?

As a fellow listenetr to out-there musics, I hope I can give you some advice. (currently enjoying the Boredoms' remix volume 0 by EYE, btw...)

First, I'm assuming these phones are for home and not portable use. Well, just in case you are curious about portable use, I highly recommend the Koss PortaPros. They're excellent for all the music I listen to.

For home phones, you have several options. I just recently got a pair of Grado SR-80s and I'm enjoying them very much. They have the "punch" that I need from music, and have excellent bass response. On the downside, though, they can be damned uncomfortable after long periods of use (with the included bowl pads).

Since you seemed to enjoy the Sennheisers, you might want to stick with their sound. However, I've never even heard a Sennheiser phone so I can't recommend any.

One headphone I've been reading about on here which has caught my attention for use as a home headphone is the Beyerdynamic DT-770 (I think that's the model number... I only know the '770', not the rest of it), which, from people's descriptions, is bassy, accurate, airy, and loud. Sounds like what I want from my music. I need to audition them somewhere.

As for an amp, again, I can't offer direct recommendations (though I hope to be able to soon, since I ordered a $60 Super-mini Meta from Fixup), but from what I have read, they border on the essential, especially with home listening.

Sorry if I wasn't much help, but I might be able to help more with music recommendations.
smily_headphones1.gif

- Chris

Sep 25, 2002 at 1:44 AM Post #3 of 15
trust me on this one STAY AWAY FROM SENN's for high energy music. Grado's are great for high energy music especially basically any kind of rock.i suggest Grado SR-225 ($199) and a Meta42 for $100

Sep 25, 2002 at 3:11 AM Post #4 of 15
Oh, my...
eek.gif

Trust me on this one. Though I own two different Grado headphones, I couldn't stand wearing them for more than two seconds without complaining of severe ear pain. And I place most of the blame on their supraaural design (I am now finding all supraaural headphones terribly uncomfortable to wear, unless I bend the headband outward so much that they'll fall off my head).

So, BoardC3, if I listen to those types (Industrial, Rock, Electronica) of music, and I want my headphones not to touch or squeeze my ears at all whatsoever, then what is the best choice?

Black Aspic, going back to the HD 590's, I own that pair. They sound a bit murky and a bit shrill compared to the better-sounding headphones costing more than $70. And yet the HD 590's cost $150 to $250!!
mad.gif
What had Sennheiser done when they came up with their 1999 new-model line?

Sep 25, 2002 at 4:29 AM Post #5 of 15
One comment on comfort: remember that unless they've got a plastic headband or something, you can usually stretch them out a bit to alleviate the "vice" effect.

Personally, I listen to many forms of rock, mostly at the heavy end, and love my DT770s. Smooth yet slammin'. Perhaps them coupled with a good, bright amp, like a META42 with an AD823? Or if you're really looking for an over-emphasized treble, the DT831s or 931s might suit you better, but then you might feel short-changed in da bass, which the DT770s have in abundance.

One other possiblity that comes to mind is the Sony CD3000s, I seem to recall them being described as a bit on the bright side.

Oct 20, 2002 at 8:22 PM Post #6 of 15
Audio Technica A100Ti (just under US$300 by itself) and some cheap amp.

I suspect that if the DT250-80's weren't bright enough for you, neither will the DT770's or anything by Sennheiser, however I really dislike the (lack of) comfort with most Grado's (HP-1000's being so exceptional that one does not mind, but they're out of your budget). Perhaps you should look at the infamous sock mod, if you do go Grado.

I really have no idea. I'm a bass guy, and the DT770 does it for me.

Oct 20, 2002 at 8:42 PM Post #7 of 15
Why not get some Grado's, and some earpads or a source that tame some of their brightness? What about the DT770's? or how about some Beyerdynamic DT931's and a 120 ohm headphone jack?

Oct 21, 2002 at 1:33 AM Post #10 of 15
I haven't heard either the 570s or the 590s, but if you like the 570s, I would guess the 590s may be a good choice. I'd suggest checking the graphs at the super cool headroom site -- graphically, the 590s look like somewhat tamed (less bright and more bass) 570s to me.

Here, I did it for you:

http://www.headphone.com/graphCompar...are+Headphones

Oct 21, 2002 at 2:59 AM Post #11 of 15
As a fellow experimental music listener, I would suggest Etys or Grados. I currently switch between the two.

The grados have a little more punch and the Etys have quite a bit more detail.

Oct 21, 2002 at 3:36 AM Post #12 of 15
i listen to a fair bit of electronica/industrial and i gotta say i love the way it sounds on my 770 pro's.

I can listen to a fair bit quite noisy and harsh tracks for a couple of hours without any sort of discomfort with these things.

Oct 21, 2002 at 11:08 AM Post #13 of 15
The lack of visceral bass on the Etys really is a negative, in my eyes (or ears, I suppose). The Grados seem alright, but I really do prefer circumaural designs. At this point I've eliminated the HD590 as a contender - I've had enough bright music at this point.

DT770 + amp. Or DT880. I'm pretty sure that's it.

Oct 21, 2002 at 1:42 PM Post #15 of 15
DT770pro is a great choice
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice low visceral bass and lots of it, detailed high end without being too harsh.

DT880 is a wild card atm, I'm looking forward to finding out how they sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back