Headphones for home
Jan 4, 2019 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

DeliriumCordia

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a pair of headphones to pair with my Ety HF3's. Here are some characteristics I'm after:

Closed back, circumaural
Doesn't need to be portable as these will be used at home
Good soundstage (something more 3D)
Better sub bass response, without bloat
Budget: Prefer to keep this under/around AUD 400
Preferably an easy to drive headphone as I'm working with basic audio equipment
Good all-rounder (for music, movies, single player games)

I've considered the Beyer 770 Pro (32 OHM) and the Meze 99 classic, though I'm not sold on either. The Meze stand out for their comfort and build quality (specifically the removable cables and the fact that all parts are replaceable) but I can't exactly attest to their sound. In the past I've owned a few studio monitors (mdr 7506) and some semi-open backs (Samson sr850). The Samsons were good, but were too tall for my head. And where I live now, I need a bit more passive isolation (hence closed back).

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Jan 4, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #2 of 12
The Soundmagic HP151 headphones would be a better buy, then the DT770.

Jan 5, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #4 of 12
Could you clarify this in terms of how each sound/feel when wearing them? Looking at the build quality, I can see they're plastic which concerns me a bit. I've also read that some found the mids of the 151 dull.
DT770 has a U shaped (or V- shaped?) sound, so mids are not that special on the DT770.

Jan 5, 2019 at 12:59 AM Post #5 of 12
I don't have as much experience that PurpalAngel has as I don't have nearly as many headphones as he has but I do like my Beyerdynamic DT-770 80ohm and always recommend them to people in that price range.

Jan 7, 2019 at 3:00 AM Post #8 of 12
How are these fit wise? Some reviewers say it's fine with a medium-large size head. The Samson sr850 I owned wear too big for my head (too tall).

I have a rather large head and I also wear glasses. They fit me fine and I can wear them for hours without any discomfort. I think the pads on this one are also more comfortable than the ath 900x which I owned before

Thank you

Jan 7, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #9 of 12
I have a rather large head and I also wear glasses. They fit me fine and I can wear them for hours without any discomfort. I think the pads on this one are also more comfortable than the ath 900x which I owned before

Thank you
The sr850 I mentioned had room between its headband and my head, to the point where the clamping force was felt more on the lower half of my ears. So going by this, I'd say these won't be for me. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back