headphones for home usage, budget 150$, source: macbook air, nexus 5 (cell phone)
Mar 2, 2014 at 8:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

whateveruser

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm looking for a new headphones, but in my country (Czech Republic) are some specific headphones, that are extremely expensive (ATH M50 are over 200$).So i will put there list of headphones that have acceptable price.

Shure SRH440 - 95$, probably my favorite
Sennheiser HD 558 - 160$
Sennheiser 518 - 100$
Sennheiser 449 - 100$
Philips M1 - 150$
Grado SR60i - 130$

If all of these sucks, you can suggest different headphones and I will check the price.

I will use these headphones mainly at home, with macbook air (without any amplifier).But sometimes I will use them with my phone (Nexus 5) as well.I listen to electronic music (Purity Ring, Saycet) and all kind of rap.My music collection is in flac.I'm definitely not basehead.They should be comfortable, I use my headphones at least 5 hours a day.They shouldn't leak extremely much.And of course they should sound good.

ps: I hope you will understand.I'm 16 and English is not my primary language.

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #4 of 10
SR series Grados have very little bass, which might be an issue for electronic music. But 60i has more bass than most of the SRs. It's fairly clear and bright. You can use tape-modded L-cushions to improve the bass some. The obvious negative is the flimsy headband, which you'd need to mod or replace.

HD558 is quite decent and there's a mod that's supposed to improve it, making it more like HD598. I don't know how well they play electronic, but it's a better choice than 60i.

Credible reports indicate that SRH440 is bright. Now, there should be a way to mod it to get to halfway decent bass (the usual dampening schemes). But you'd have to be willing to tinker. Another issue is that the headband is supposed to be uncomfortable, which is a problem on some Shures.

Don't get the wrong impression though: I'm impressed with their products, especially SRH840. So do what newton said and try to find one, maybe used, because it already sounds good. And mod the headband on that instead.

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #5 of 10
As far as i know the SR60i leaks a lot as well, so I think it wouldn't be the best buy for me.

I was googling for a while and i found this hack for the SRH440: http://www.head-fi.org/t/456493/shure-srh440-foam-plug-mod.Is this what you were talking about?I think i could handle this.Also i would probably change pads from stock 440 to 940.

I live in a small country, so there is a really small possibility, that i would be able to get used ones (SRH840).

Are there any other headphones that would fit my requirements?

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #6 of 10
You live in one of the greatest countries in the world--for beer. I use the Pilsner brewery gate as the backdrop for my Facebook profile.

That mod would be a start. You might have put some felt in the cups. Look at the Fostex modding threads for ideas. Swapping the pads for velour will decrease the bass slightly, making the sound very slightly brighter. It's more comfortable, I know, and I use 940 pads on my Fostex. If you find the headband uncomfortable, you can take it apart and mod it with HD6x0 headband foam.

Mar 2, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #7 of 10
Haha, yeah the beer is awesome.

I will definitely check that out.I'm going to try them tomorrow as well.So, do you think the SRH440 are best/good enough for my purpose?Or there are some better ones, that could have acceptable price here, in Czech Republic?

Mar 2, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #8 of 10
  Haha, yeah the beer is awesome.

I will definitely check that out.I'm going to try them tomorrow as well.So, do you think the SRH440 are best/good enough for my purpose?Or there are some better ones, that could have acceptable price here, in Czech Republic?

If you're not a basshead and and you're willing to mod it some. I would still look for a used SRH840, maybe on (German) eBay? 

Mar 2, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #10 of 10
It's kind of weird because the 840s are actually more money now than when I bought them new 3 years ago.  I think I paid 150ish back in 2011, and now they are selling for 180-199 dollars.

I discovered them by accident on Saturday when I went to demo HD650. I was very surprised by how good they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back