Headphones for Helmet
May 11, 2005 at 5:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

iPodphile

Head-Fier
Headfiers-

My buddy needs a way to mount drivers inside his motorcycle helmet. Any sugestions? Is there a way to get just headphone drivers from a company without just buying the cans and taking them apart? Thanks.

Jon

May 11, 2005 at 1:33 PM Post #3 of 22
KSC35 or KSC75 are the answer, they can have no headband are are about as close to a raw driver as you can get. Inexpensive also, I got my KSC75's for $9.99 (plus under $4 shipping) with a Froggle search.
Added benefit, they sound pretty good too!

May 11, 2005 at 3:13 PM Post #4 of 22
Thanks guys-

Those look like they will work. If there are any other options let me know...

May 11, 2005 at 4:06 PM Post #5 of 22
I don't know if this is what you were planning on doing, but I most certainly wouldn't remove any material from the helmet in order to get the headphones in. You probably weren't going to do this anyway, but I'm just making sure. If you've ever put a helmet to use, you have as much respect for them as I do.

May 11, 2005 at 4:09 PM Post #6 of 22
Sure, there are ways to get helmet speakers without taking apart a pair of cans.

HJC, J&M and other motorcycle communication system manufacturers make headsets, sometimes for specfic-fit helmets.

The Bass Monsters are still available,

http://www.equinoxmc.co.uk/index.php...products_id=36

one of the original helmet speaker-only kits. We need to look for a US outlet - I think I want a pair of Bass Monsters myself.

You do not say what helmet he has. HJC's come from the factory with speaker recesses already made into the EPS liner. If you get one of the custom fit systems from J&M or others they fit Arai's and Shoei's using specific instructions. If you are going generic you can use a heat gun, or soldering iron, to reform the EPS around the ear area to allow the mounting. Note that this "technically" alters the helmet's ability to protect in those areas.

May 11, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Manveer
I don't know if this is what you were planning on doing, but I most certainly wouldn't remove any material from the helmet in order to get the headphones in. You probably weren't going to do this anyway, but I'm just making sure. If you've ever put a helmet to use, you have as much respect for them as I do.

Was just about to post the same thing - Messing with the structure of a crash helmet is a definate no no...

May 11, 2005 at 7:32 PM Post #8 of 22
I purchased Shure E2Cs to use under my helmet. I'm don't know what his goal is exactly, but the sound isolation of the Shures allows wind noise (the loudest sound on a bike at speed) to be blocked and the volume to be set at a lower level preventing hearing loss. I think this is a vastly better solution to get music while you ride. I picked the Shures, as compared to other canalphohnes, because of the amount of attenuation, they're pretty solidly built, price, and they fit flush enough that I can get a helmet over them. They work very well for this (with the ultra soft sleeves).

May 11, 2005 at 7:35 PM Post #9 of 22
Similar to git I use canal phones on my motorcycle - specifically Ety 4p's. They work great, are small enough that they don't get in the way and require no mods to the helmet. I tried a set of E2's and didn't get enough attenuation and don't like the chord over ear setup. By that's just MHO.

Nate

May 12, 2005 at 1:05 AM Post #10 of 22
I use the Etymotic Research 6i canalphones with the ER4 triflange tips under my helmets. I tried the ER4s, but they projected out too far, and caused quite a bit of discomfort, plus every time I removed my helmet, out came the phones. The ER6i stays in place, and fits entirely inside my outer ear. Sound is excellent, wind noise is minimal, and I can still hear what I need to hear outside.

May 12, 2005 at 1:40 AM Post #11 of 22
riding bikes and motorcycles with headphones is not the best idea.
confused.gif

May 12, 2005 at 3:51 AM Post #12 of 22
I'm used to riding with foam earplugs, about 29db of attenuation. How much do you guys think the Shures and the Ety's attenuate?? Do you have to use an amp or straight from a portable enough?

I like the idea of speakers though, as the cord stays with the helmet making donning & doffing much easier. But I am considering switching to a modular this year and if so that will be less of an issue (getting a full face on & off around all my head piercings is proving just to be too much trouble)

May 12, 2005 at 4:54 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake
I'm used to riding with foam earplugs, about 29db of attenuation. How much do you guys think the Shures and the Ety's attenuate?? Do you have to use an amp or straight from a portable enough?

I like the idea of speakers though, as the cord stays with the helmet making donning & doffing much easier. But I am considering switching to a modular this year and if so that will be less of an issue (getting a full face on & off around all my head piercings is proving just to be too much trouble)

My E2's with foamies are marginally worse than a generic foam earplug (orange contruction plug), and my Er4's are about on par, with either tip.

I use my E2's at the gym, on my bicycle, mowing the lawn, etc... And they're good at attenuating enough background noise that I only turn them up if the song merits it, not the environment.

May 12, 2005 at 4:56 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHoboFest
riding bikes and motorcycles with headphones is not the best idea.
confused.gif

yeah, dont you need to be able to hear what is going on around you? not to mention it's probably illegal...

May 12, 2005 at 5:10 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by OceanEnthusiast
yeah, dont you need to be able to hear what is going on around you? not to mention it's probably illegal...

Quote:

Sound is excellent, wind noise is minimal, and I can still hear what I need to hear outside.

Hoep this answers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back