Headphones for heavy metal-rock music?!
Mar 5, 2003 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

DoomForce

100+ Head-Fier
Well now that im in the hphone business-thanx to all you guys- i'd like to help a friend who has this big obsession with metal(all sorts of it) find a nice pair. I guess im getting the hd280pro's(i listen to all kinds of stuff,more of electronica and metal though) but i couldnt find another pair for him..not anymore left!
So,im gonna search and see what models are available here and post..
but i'd be gr8 if u could start posting some recommendations!
the first models are hd497, sony mdr-v300 and hd2200.
opinions on them?
thanx in advance!

Mar 5, 2003 at 10:06 PM Post #2 of 43
I listen to rock almost exclusivly on Grado sr-125's, they have have an up front sound and impact that fits rock. Guitars seem to come alive. I love Opeth on these things!

No reservations here about recomending them for metal. Though, their price in Europe may be prohibitive. These run about $150US. There was a thread on headwise where someone from Europe ended up with SR-80's for that price.

Mar 6, 2003 at 1:25 AM Post #4 of 43
Hey, guys I am listening to Etymotic ER-4P with Supermini 5 and Sony R909 in line-out mode (which is much better by the way). I listen to metal only. And I love how Opeth sounds on this setup. (especially my favorite Mourning Rise). You've got all sorts of detail possibable. Especially I like how the acoustic guitar sounds, however bass guitar is what I don't like much with Etymotic. The bass is there, but it is wrong type of bass for metal. It doesn't have this killer impact. The sound is too analytic, there is no drive, which you like in metal music. So, I would probably not recommend Etys for metal. From what I've heard here, I think Beyer 770pro is the one for metal. I've tried Grado 60 and they sound good, but are extremely uncomfortable, so I would probably never buy another pair because of this. The drivers of Grado though seem to be very good, it is only the casing, which drives me mad. I am not considering other headphones to use together with Etys (never gonna sell them), just want a different sound. From what I've heard Supermini with 3 AAA batteries is not going to drive 770pro well, so I am thinking about Audio Technica now. But it is so confusing with so many different headphones they have. Like A100, A900, A1000 and art series and W100 and W1000. I am totally confused which one to get. I also think about Eggos, they are going to be in Audiocube stock tomorrow. But I am afraid, that I am not gonna like them, after I listened to Etys so much, however I will still get a different sound. Hey guys, what would you say? Is it worth buying after getting used to Etys' sound?

Mar 6, 2003 at 1:29 AM Post #5 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
The world's best Metal phones are made of metal! They are the Grado SR325.

I never had heard a Grado, but it's true they are considered by many of their owners pretty good headphones for Rock in general, but , if the wallet allows you to do it, I suggest you to audition a pair of CD3000, they are excellent for rock, and for eveyrthing (in general), but are more expensive too.....I stopped there for a while....my cure for the upgraditis in headphpones at least!!!!

Mar 6, 2003 at 3:25 AM Post #7 of 43
DoomForce ,

What about Rotting Christ, Septic Flesh, On Thorns I Lay and Odes Of Ecstasy? Are they still alive? When was the last concert of any on these in Athens? What about the metal scene in Greece in general? Is it now going more into gothic metal? Can you please give me your thoughts about this, since you are closer to those great bands, than I am? :)

Greek metal rules forever!

Mar 6, 2003 at 3:44 AM Post #8 of 43
If you're after a sound that has good impact (i.e., intense brilliant treble and explosive bass) and don't care about refinement (i.e., totally neutral, controlled, delicate, rich, detail), I highly suggest the DT770-250 and a cheap amp. $150+ or so is the price tag. Depends on the place.

They are also very effective at isolating, by a factor of 15-18dB or so. Excellent closed headphone for the rocker who wants impact.

Other people would recommend grados, they have a great reputation as rock cans, some would say the SR-225 is the best of the bunch for rock but opinions differ. I would keep your mind open and keep reading.

Cheers,
Geek

Mar 6, 2003 at 3:47 AM Post #9 of 43
Oh, and as for the CD3000 vs HD600 for rock...

I feel it's up to personal opinion but the HD600 wins out because it has punchier bass, guitars sound more natural, bassline is more accurate, and the high end isn't hyped so much. My friend agrees. He's a non audiophile but he's very experienced with rock: "I liked these black ones because I can pick the bassline out and the guitar sounds real." The CD3000s really need a $1000+ setup to shine and it's very dependent on your personal tastes. I'd look elsewhere than CD3ks or HD600s for pure rock.

HD600s are boring compared to grados or some of the beyers for rock music.

Cheers,
Geek

Mar 6, 2003 at 4:09 AM Post #10 of 43
Geek,

Thanks for the advice. Is it a new version of Beyer you are talking about or old 770pro one? I am also thinking about this pair, but there are two problems:

1) they are too big for portable use
2) supermini is not powerful enough to drive them

That's why I though about Sony Eggo, but they seem to be not of the same calibre as Beyer or Grado, nevertheless everybody seems to like them. I have HD580 and they don't seem to be a rock headphones. May be I need to try HD600 with Cardas cable. But again HD600 are open and not for outdoor use. Beyer seems to isolate very well however.

What about Audio Technica, are they rock headphones at all?

The more I read the forum, the more I get a feeling, that John Meier is going to help me :) I guess I need to order Porta Corda + DT770 and this setup is going to ROCK! He doesn't have a new 770 yet though and Porta Corda is pretty big in comparison to the supermini, but isn't it the sound, which it is all about?

Hey guys, who are using this setup, can you tell me if I am right?

Mar 6, 2003 at 4:14 AM Post #11 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by sbelonoz

Abso-friggin-lutely.

The W100s just plain rock for rock and metal. They were a bit harsh in the high end with a Denon DCM-370 and a Headroom Little amp, but powered by an ART DI/O and a Millett hybrid tube amp these things are the most kick-ass phones I've heard.

They clearly beat Grado SR-80s, and are much less painful to listen to than a Sony V6.

Bass is plentiful and tight; trebles are in-your-face but never sibilant or grating.

The W100 is disparaged by many on this forum, I think, but it has a few dedicated fans. Count me in as one of them. I adore this headphone.

- Chris

Mar 6, 2003 at 4:14 AM Post #12 of 43
A 12V supermini (analog) will power the Beyer's beautifully. I have a digital one, which takes 7.2v max and it doesn't power them well, but I cheated and hooked up a 9v battery with three rechargeable AAAs and it sounded wonderful.

I wouldn't dismiss the supermini; the thing's got guts.

Mar 6, 2003 at 4:38 AM Post #13 of 43
Trounce,

I don't dismiss supermini, since I like it much, but I don't like an idea of connecting 9V battery to it, because the main reason I've got supermini for is the superportability. However supermini + 9V battery is still smaller, than Porta Corda I guess. It is just not that beautiful and comfortable with all those cables and battery. I've got my supermini without the extention port, so I would not be able to try. From what you say, I am now confident 4.5V is not enough for 770pro.

Mar 6, 2003 at 12:15 PM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Geek,

The A900's aren't too bad, they're better than the 590's, but nothing does rock as well as Grado IMO.

Mar 6, 2003 at 9:15 PM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

DoomForce ,

What about Rotting Christ, Septic Flesh, On Thorns I Lay and Odes Of Ecstasy? Are they still alive? When was the last concert of any on these in Athens? What about the metal scene in Greece in general? Is it now going more into gothic metal? Can you please give me your thoughts about this, since you are closer to those great bands, than I am? :)

Greek metal rules forever!

Whoa this forum is so alive!
slebenoz,the greek metal scene comes more alive than ever!
Rotting Christ kick ass as always!The seem to have some Cof influences atm and they really rock.A friend of mine bought me the new Septic Flesh album,named Sumerian Daemon which is a supreme creation from a greek band! at first i though it was like,ok,so what,but the more i listen to it the better my thoughts are!
On thorns i lay..havent heard this group for a while..they were real good a coupla years back tho.
As for odes of ectasy..never heard of them!
Thats for the Greek metal scene!

more seenheiser metal/rock phones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back