Headphones for Gym
Jun 25, 2009 at 9:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Mintz

Head-Fier
Hello again,
I have been to this site once before when I was looking for a pair of headphones to replace my crappy Sony MDR-300s. Someone recommended me the AHD-1001s, I bought them and fell in love with them. I now am looking for a pair of headphones to replace the ones I use at the gym. I have currently been using the headphones that come with my ipod at the gym and I don't really like them. I figured this was the perfect first place to check seeing as the last pair that was recommended to me by people here fit my request perfectly.
The criteria that I am trying to fill for my new pair is that they need to have a lot of bass. I don't consider myself a basshead, but I am sure that many people here might consider me one. There are many times that I wish my AHD-1001s had more bass and according to some of the posters here the AHDs have almost too much bass. I listen to a lot of 90's hip hop. Lots of Pete Rock and Tribe and that era is known for having lots of deep basslines (especially Pete Rock). So I am looking for something that will be able to handle that. My only other creteria is that they can handle sweat. I owned a cheap pair of headphones in the past that I used to wear at the gym and when I would get sweaty they used to shock my ear at times. So I got rid of them pretty quick. My price range is $100 or less. Sorry for the long post! Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Jun 25, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 10
Just get a pair of KSC-75s on amazon for $15. I've used the KSC-35s in the gym for years with no problems... sweaty and all. Easy to drive, comfy enough, and sound remarkably good for the money.

Jun 25, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #3 of 10
KSC-35s might have more agreeable bass. And still well under $100
ksc75smile.gif

Jun 26, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #4 of 10
I just purchased the Shure E310s from Headphone.com for use nearly exclusively at the gym and on planes, etc.

We'll see how they sound, but everyone on this website seems to like them. They offer good bass along with good mids.

I had originally purchased the Denon 751Ks but I had them for three days and the right driver went out completely. So I decided that Denon should stick to AV receivers and forget about getting into the headphone market.

I'm looking forward to trying out these Shures. They come with a bunch of different ear pieces which should do well in the gym. If you're going to work out, you might as well do it with some decent sonic quality.

Hope this helps.

-Adam

Jun 26, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #6 of 10
I used my ETY4s for a few years (and the ETY6 for years before that). They work OK, but this past winter I switched to my qJays and enjoy them immensely. They don't stick out like the Etys and are easier to wrap around your ear to avoid the microphonics. They are more attuned to the rock I tend to listen to at the Y. While they don't block sound quite as well as the ETY4s (especially when using the stock black foam tips, the best in in sound blockage), they do a good enough job. At least at my Y, sound blocking is important because it is often LOUD down there.

Finally, sweat was never much of an issue with the Etymotics and doesn't seem to be an issue for the qJays either.

Jun 26, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #7 of 10
I use my NuForce NE-7m which is great for me and has ample bass along with good detail for the $50 price. As long as I don't insert and pull them out a lot when I am working out, they stay in place fine.

Jun 26, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #8 of 10
First of all, thank you for all the replies. After reading through the replies and reviewing some of the headphones that people recommended I was thinking about the Sennheiser PMX80 Sport Series II. I know the Sennhesier brand is definitely reputable and I wanted a pair that was designed for sports. I'm guessing the Shure E310s and Etymotics would work fine, but I am worried that sweat could get into the headphone and cause it to break. That happened to another pair of my headphones. Does anyone happen to have any experience with the Sennheiser PMX80 Sport Series II? I am curious if they live up to reviews that I have read online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back