Headphones for Guitar Playing
Mar 13, 2004 at 1:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

zyx345

New Head-Fier
This is my 1st post on this awesome forum. Can anyone give me a recommendation for accurate sound reproduction when playing guitar through a guitar amplifier?

I would like to use the same headphones for listening to music. My budget is approx. $100 & I can use open or closed headphones.

I am considering the Sennheiser hd-280 or 570s. Does anyone have experience w. these for guitar playing?

Mar 13, 2004 at 1:41 AM Post #2 of 4
I've never used 570s or 280s, however I know that electric guitars sing through grado SR-125 headphones. It something about the treble, I can't put my finger on it, that makes an electric guitar sound really really good to me. Perhaps it's the open design that allows me to hear picking and the fingers on the frets more clearly, but imho my closed V6 headphones and my koss phones don't sound at all good out of the guitar amp. Often I plug strait in to my CMoy to have a somewhat portable guitar setup, not to mention the sound quality is superior, with not a hint of hiss or distortion that the cheap guitar amp spews forth.

Mar 13, 2004 at 1:44 AM Post #3 of 4
You need

- A headphone that doesn't over-emphasize anything, or it'll sound weird
- A long cord so you can move a bit
wink.gif

- A good, tight fit
- A good value

All in all I recommend the Sennheiser HD497 for you. They were a bit uncomfortable for me, but a lot of people have no problems with them. The sound is very versatile, you can't go wrong with them
smily_headphones1.gif

- Taurui

Mar 13, 2004 at 1:45 AM Post #4 of 4
Two strong recommendations that I've used myself: Koss KSC-35s and Grado SR80s. Are they accurate? No. Are they fun, and do they rock? Yes! They're also great bang for the buck unamped for general music listening as well. I'd recommend against closed phones for the purpose since there is the potential for higher sound-pressure levels than with open phones if you play with high dynamics. Make sure always you have the volume levels on the lower side of caution.

One more recommendation: Guitar amp headphone outs suck. You might find it sounds better through an amp modeler such as the V-Amp, or my personal fave, the Yamaha DG-Stomp (especially using the stereo line outs with a headphone amp), or at the high-end, the POD XT Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back