Headphones for Grado lover
Sep 12, 2013 at 10:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

yusufbeyazpinar

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, my name is Yusuf. I live in Ankara, Turkey. Although this is my first message with this account, I am an old head-fi user, but lost all my account info.

Previously, i asked for recommendations from you guys a couple of times and ended up with a Grado SR80i, and an ATH AD900. I was very pleased with both of them. Unfortunately, later i had to sell the AD900, for my speaker setup. I still have the Grado and a speaker rig worth around 10.000 USD. I also have a nice Harmon Kardon set in my car. I still like my SR80i. Fun, nice for rock and metal, has a warm, airy sound etc... But now i need a much better pair of headphones. Something that won't make me wake up everybody else with my speakers at 2am or get me in the car to listen to music. (everybody is fed up with me in fact). I will build a complete set. I have a benchmark dac1 for my stereo set, but i will buy a new DAC and amp for the headphone setup.

The first step is buying a pair of headphones. My budget is around 600USD for headphones. I can go up only if there is an extreme difference in sound. I love hearing every instrument separately, feel the vibrations of the strings, and the body of the instrument and having a realistic soundstage in front of me. I will mostly listen to vocal jazz, acid jazz, classic rock, some electronic (like chill-out), sometimes classical: But mostly stuff similar to Lou Reed or Nick Cave...

After finding the ideal headphone i will move to amp and DAC, so which headphones would you recommend for around 600USD? I don't have any brand in my mind in fact...

P.S.: I don't have the opportunity to test the headphones, so i will decide solely on your recommendation. 

Sep 12, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #2 of 3
I was going to say that the HD700 are rather Grado-like from what I've read, but then you describe your SR80's as "warm" which is definitely not how I would describe my Grado experiences
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back