Headphones for Gaming
Nov 22, 2015 at 1:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Kestrel452

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Which headphones do you think are the best for gaming and music at a price point of $350 or lower? I don't really want to buy two pairs for high quality gaming and music playback, so one that does the job amazingly well for both is the aim.

It was always the intent to buy X2's after selling the Fildelio X1's, however I'd like some input from the crowd before making that decision a final one. 

The only concerns about the X2's are the bass impact and sense of directionality they're able to impart. Apparently, some headphones aren't quite as good at creating the illusion of sounds coming from different directions (a three dimensional perception, if you will). And as for bass, it would be nice to have cans that'll deliver sufficient kick for gunfire and explosions, but not be overly bassy for music. 

Thank you in advance  
smile_phones.gif

Nov 22, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #2 of 9
  Which headphones do you think are the best for gaming and music at a price point of $350 or lower? I don't really want to buy two pairs for high quality gaming and music playback, so one that does the job amazingly well for both is the aim.
It was always the intent to buy X2's after selling the Fidelio X1's, however I'd like some input from the crowd before making that decision a final one. 
The only concerns about the X2's are the bass impact and sense of directionality they're able to impart. Apparently, some headphones aren't quite as good at creating the illusion of sounds coming from different directions (a three dimensional perception, if you will). And as for bass, it would be nice to have cans that'll deliver sufficient kick for gunfire and explosions, but not be overly bassy for music. 

Thank you in advance  
smile_phones.gif

What sound card or DAC/amp will you be plugging the headphones into?

Nov 22, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #3 of 9

What sound card or DAC/amp will you be plugging the headphones into?

I have a Schiit Modi and Magni 2 Uber stack that will draw sound from the PC's SPDIF port for the speakers, along with a "SupremeFX 2015" audio card built into my motherboard (which is a Maximux VIII Hero). The built in sound card drives all the audio jacks, so there's no need to buy a discrete audio card. Whether I should plug the cans directly into the motherboard's 3.5mm jack or adapt the Magni 2's headphone port, i'm not sure...

Nov 22, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #6 of 9
  Hey guys,

It was always the intent to buy X2's after selling the Fildelio X1's, however I'd like some input from the crowd before making that decision a final one. 

Thank you in advance  
smile_phones.gif

At $350 (and considering the fact that you already have a Schiit stack), The perfect headphone for your needs is the Sennheiser HD 700; so long as you are careful to shop around you can find it for $350, quite an amazing value for money! I used it for months and I still miss it's unbelievable soundstage and imaging accuracy. It has perfect bass impact IMHO, not too light or too heavy, and it literally has the best imaging of any headphone I've ever used, though I've never heard the HD 800. 

Here, I did some shopping for you :) ---> http://www.head-fi.org/t/784711/sennheiser-hd700

Nov 23, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #7 of 9

I have a Schiit Modi and Magni 2 Uber stack that will draw sound from the PC's SPDIF port for the speakers, along with a "SupremeFX 2015" audio card built into my motherboard (which is a Maximux VIII Hero). The built in sound card drives all the audio jacks, so there's no need to buy a discrete audio card. Whether I should plug the cans directly into the motherboard's 3.5mm jack or adapt the Magni 2's headphone port, i'm not sure...

Would assume the Magni is the better choice for headphones.

Nov 23, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #8 of 9
Can't go wrong with the X2 and that beautiful soundstage for gaming.  They also have a bit more kick in the bass like you want.  Another good option would be the HD650 (if they are still on sale).

Nov 23, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #9 of 9
Hd650 is not good for gaming, but with eq it definitely is INCREDIBLY immersive! My Beyerdynamic Dt990 on the other hand is better with or without eq than HD650! For Gaming soundstage is number one priority because you cant eq it!!! My next and last headphones going to be either HD800 or maybe HD800s, because both should have ULTIMATE Soundstage that should work for gaming! Also thinking about HD800S, because it should be better for music than HD800... I personally have tried X2 and it does have nothing on my DT990 for gaming! If you compare both whitout eq. Ofcourse for music X2 is much better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back