Headphones for gaming
Jan 24, 2009 at 4:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

raven2000

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Whilst playing BioShock with Benq E2200HD built-in speakers I realised how badly I need decent headphones for gaming. These will only be used for gaming as I have Etymotic Er-6 for portable audio.

Because I need to get decent sound card my budget is around $150.

Which headphones for gaming within my budget represent the best price-to-performance ratio?

Having read the very informative price-to-performance thread I have marked Audio-Technica AD700 as potential candidates but I am not sure how they perform for gaming and whether there are any other better alternatives.

Your help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jan 24, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #2 of 9
Many claim them to be the 'best' for gaming, maybe for the price, and thats about it. You might want to look into orthodynamic headphones. They are a good alternative to STAX (electrostats), and provide some of their strengths, Speed, detail, resolution, etc. These qualities are good for gaming. Un fortunately, these type of headphones are no longer inproduction. You can only buy used, mainly here and ebay. To put my money where my mouth is, I ordered a pair yesterday for 68.00. I can't wait to try them out with my games. About the 700s, a lot of people have fit issues. And the bass is pedestrian. If you want a lot of bass with quality, I'd recommend the Sony XB700. They also incorporate leak proof technology, and the size of the pads must be seen to be believed. VERY comfy. And yet another headphone I need to get.

Jan 24, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #4 of 9
There are unbelievable resources here for gaming headphones. Simply do a search for "Gaming" in this forum.

Jan 24, 2009 at 9:09 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want a lot of bass with quality, I'd recommend the Sony XB700. They also incorporate leak proof technology, and the size of the pads must be seen to be believed. VERY comfy. And yet another headphone I need to get.

Wow! The XB700 looks potentially awesome for bass lovers, keeping sound in, comfort, and should be easy to drive OK without an amp. Wow!

Jan 24, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow! The XB700 looks potentially awesome for bass lovers, keeping sound in, comfort, and should be easy to drive OK without an amp. Wow!

Ya, check out the pillow cushions on these sucker! Comfyyyyy!

sonymdrxb500headphones.jpg

Jan 24, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many claim them to be the 'best' for gaming, maybe for the price, and thats about it. You might want to look into orthodynamic headphones. They are a good alternative to STAX (electrostats), and provide some of their strengths, Speed, detail, resolution, etc. These qualities are good for gaming. Un fortunately, these type of headphones are no longer inproduction. You can only buy used, mainly here and ebay. To put my money where my mouth is, I ordered a pair yesterday for 68.00. I can't wait to try them out with my games. About the 700s, a lot of people have fit issues. And the bass is pedestrian. If you want a lot of bass with quality, I'd recommend the Sony XB700. They also incorporate leak proof technology, and the size of the pads must be seen to be believed. VERY comfy. And yet another headphone I need to get.

The only problem that i can see with those ancient orthodynamic's is the horribly uncomfortable ear pads for gaming. THey'd def need some modding to make them comfortable.

Jan 24, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foe-hammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ya, check out the pillow cushions on these sucker! Comfyyyyy!

sonymdrxb500headphones.jpg

Doesn´t that make your ears sweat? Had that problem with the A900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back