Headphones for gaming - which to get?
Dec 18, 2014 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MrRockliffe

Head-Fier
I just bought a pair of DT 990s (yesterday) and they arrived today...broken. Left driver rattles (IT'S NOT A HAIR). Kind of expected, as I've broken 2 pairs of Custom One Pros before, and had the drivers fixed as well - and with ease.

I'd get a pair of DT 770s, but I'm worried the same thing will happen. 

Right, onto sound. Similar to the 990s, but less harsh and more bass. To me, the 990s sound as though they have a very slight bass boost. MDR 1Rs sound as though they have no bass. Just to put that into perspective. Also, on my IE80s, I have the bass on max and still find it's lacking for my liking.

Comfort - important. Very important.
Sound quality - these will be for a lot of music and film watching too.
Durability - well they need to survive 5 ish years.

Any suggestions?

Dec 18, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #2 of 6
I'm really new to all this audiophile thing, but I have a DT770 and I´ve had it for 3 years now. It's not been broken once or almost looks new and it's very comfy - can have it on for 10+ hours no problem. Great for gaming aswell - can hear where the enemy is in FPS games.

Soundswise I dont think I'm good enough so maybe other people can help you with that :) Good luck.

Dec 18, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 6
DT 770's are sublime. Very good for music and gaming alike. I use my computers sound card for gaming and DAC/amp combo for music.

Dec 18, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #4 of 6
As it's coming up to Christmas, I really don't want to have to spend the holiday period without a pair of functioning pair of headphones. Also, the highs of the 990s were a little harsh - are they on the 770s?

Dec 18, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #5 of 6
They're probably just as lifted, but not as peaky. Can you go for open headphones again? Budget? Source?

Dec 19, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #6 of 6
Budget is 120 pounds MAX. I don't have any more money.

Source is either from onboard audio or my Fiio E07K.

Open is an option, but cars outside my window are noticeably loud when using the beyers, however I do like the spaciousness of them.

Was looking at custom one pros as well, but from what I gathered online, they're getting a replacement soon?

Ideally though, I'd prefer not to go with beyerdynamic, as customer service is non existent and they're clearly poor quality products for the money you're spending.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back