Headphones for Gaming & Music / Movies?
Jul 22, 2015 at 2:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Melee

Head-Fier
I've recently gotten back into competitive gaming and I also watch a lot of movies and listen to music nonstop. It's probably a 50/50 split of priority between gaming and movies/music. I've normally used headsets like Astro A40 or Sennheiser PC360 but I've been looking through prices of reputable headphones and they seem extremely reasonable compared to headsets of that caliber and price.

What would you guys recommend? I've seen a lot of options such as Beyerdynamic DT 990 & DT 880, AKG K701 & K702, Sennheiser HD650 & HD600, etc. I'd like to avoid paying more than it would cost to snag one of the headsets I mentioned earlier so anywhere from $0 to $200 or so, give or take $50 possibly. I have no problem buying used, especially for a significant upgrade in quality.

My other question is what would be the best way to add a microphone and amplifier to the system for a console + pc setup? I'm assuming an Astro Mixamp would be the best option but will it have enough juice to run everything? Also, if I went with something like a Blue Yeti or Antlion Modmic, is there a way to set it up for use on both my console and pc at the same time?

Thanks for the help!

Jul 22, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #2 of 3
This gaming guide would help you in selecting a headphone for gaming: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-5-31-2015-beyer-cop-and-shure-1540-added.

Yes. The Antlion modmic is what a lot of head-fiers use for gaming with their regular headphones. Not sure about how you set it up with your console.

Jul 22, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #3 of 3
  I've recently gotten back into competitive gaming and I also watch a lot of movies and listen to music nonstop. It's probably a 50/50 split of priority between gaming and movies/music. I've normally used headsets like Astro A40 or Sennheiser PC360 but I've been looking through prices of reputable headphones and they seem extremely reasonable compared to headsets of that caliber and price.
What would you guys recommend? I've seen a lot of options such as Beyerdynamic DT 990 & DT 880, AKG K701 & K702, Sennheiser HD650 & HD600, etc. I'd like to avoid paying more than it would cost to snag one of the headsets I mentioned earlier so anywhere from $0 to $200 or so, give or take $50 possibly. I have no problem buying used, especially for a significant upgrade in quality.
My other question is what would be the best way to add a microphone and amplifier to the system for a console + pc setup? I'm assuming an Astro Mixamp would be the best option but will it have enough juice to run everything? Also, if I went with something like a Blue Yeti or Antlion Modmic, is there a way to set it up for use on both my console and pc at the same time?

I'm going to guess the PC360 will offer just as good gaming headphone surround sound as any other headphone you might get.
So I'm thinking any headphone your looking to get would really be for the best audio quality (for music) and not be so concerned with it's surround sound features.
With a gaming console, the Astro Mix-amp seems to usually be the best choice and it can easily drive the 50-Ohm PC360.
When it comes to the PC, the Astro Mix-amp is about equal to a $25 sound card.
So if you bought a Asus Xonar DX, $26, with a $10 mail in rebate, so $16 is final price (not including and tax or shipping), you would have no need to use the Mix-amp with your PC.
All the Beyers/AKG/Sennheisers you have listed really need to be used with a decent headphone amplifier (to bring out their best), more then what the Mix-amp amp or Xonar DG amp provide.
The FiiO E11K headphone amplifier ($60) is really the minimum you would spend for an add-on amplifier, but some of the headphones you listed (HD600/HD650) really do best with a $200 amp. 
Headphones like the Audio Technica and Philips offer a lot of models in the 30-Ohm to 40-Ohm range, every easy for the Mix-amp or Xonar DG to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back