Headphones for gaming - Fidelio X1, DT880, or DT990?
Jun 24, 2014 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Atranox

New Head-Fier
I have been using 600-Ohm DT 880's for gaming (mostly non-competitive), but they recently broke and I no longer am getting sound out of the right channel, so I'm using my spare HD555's. I'm looking to buy something as a replacement for the DT880's, and I'm stuck on whether or not I should just buy another pair - or go with Fidelio X1's or DT990's. For what it's worth, I did like the DT880's and am used to their sound - but at the same time, I was never absolutely in love with them.

Whatever I buy is going to be powered by the onboard amp in the Soundblaster ZXR - which isn't fantastic (especially for 600-Ohms), but it gets the job done for my purposes. Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #2 of 10
I'm just going to assume those headphones are out of warranty one way or another.

Yes, the Fidelio X1s are great for gaming. The bassy sound signature but airiness lends itself to an enjoyable, almost home theater-like experience. The DT990s, I can't comment on, but the Fidelio X1s don't need an amp. That said, if you can't stand artificial highs at all, don't buy them. They have a slight grain to them upon closer listening, but I don't think it's something you'll notice in gaming.

Since you have the amp already, there's no reason not to consider DT990s. The DT880s would be a good choice to buy again, but I would prefer the Fidelio X1s for gaming.

You could consider Audio Technica's AD series, but the 700(X) is lacking in bass.

Jun 25, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for the info. Yes - the DT880s are unfortunately out of warranty by a couple of months. I contacted Beyer anyways, but I'm assuming there isn't much they'll be able to do outside of me paying for repairs.

With the ZXR, would I be better off going with 250-Ohm or 600-Ohm DT990's? How would the sound signature compare to the X1's?

Thanks.

Jun 25, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #4 of 10
Beyer might help you fix it if it's a short time outside of the warranty. It's worth a shot.

When I had the 990s, they were fun in a analytical way. You get deep and impactful bass but in a clinical way, a bit cold. I found the highs too sibilant for my taste. The mids were neutral and felt recessed. Going off of Tyll's review of the X1, I think the difference is a warmer tilt in the overall signature w/ a better balanced mids and highs.

Jun 28, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #8 of 10
Avid PC gamer here. If you are considering other headphones besides what you listed, AKG Q701 is the best headphone I've come across for gaming.

- Roy

Jul 1, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #9 of 10
I have ordered the x1s for gaming on the ps4 and watching movies. After reading here i have decided to get a boom pro mic but i have 2 questions. I have turtle beach px5s which i have had for a long time. Would the amp that come with the px5s be ok to use with thes x1s. It is a wireless amp but it has a 3.5 mm output which can output a dolby digital signal. Second question should i bother getting a better cable it seems some people were not happy with the stock x1 cable?

Thanks for reading and hope to somebody can help.

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #10 of 10
I have ordered the x1s for gaming on the ps4 and watching movies. After reading here i have decided to get a boom pro mic but i have 2 questions. I have turtle beach px5s which i have had for a long time. Would the amp that come with the px5s be ok to use with thes x1s. It is a wireless amp but it has a 3.5 mm output which can output a dolby digital signal. Second question should i bother getting a better cable it seems some people were not happy with the stock x1 cable?

Thanks for reading and hope to somebody can help.

While I'm not really qualified to answer that question, have you checked out Mad Lust Envy's gaming headphone guide?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back