Headphones for gaming discussion
Feb 27, 2016 at 5:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

WildStyle-R11

500+ Head-Fier
I have been looking for the sound I want and all around performance, be it music any genre, games, movies and anything else...So I have tried a fair few pair of headphones...And I got couple of questions...

In games I have always relied heavily on directional audio. I have been playing competitive games with headphones such as Q701 I used it for 2 years. X2's not that much usage and 400i. There were few more headphones, but these I used the most for gaming and they gave me the same kinda rough idea about footsteps in competitive games (Mostly CS:GO apart from Q701, haven't used them in CS, but I get the idea.). Headphones such as Q701 are highly regarded as one of best to use in games, however I have found that this not true at all, it gives you the right and accurate idea, but only as far as which general direction to look. Like if you are behind a wall and you know how the area behind the wall looks like and in your head you use your sound to imagine and I get sort of fuzzy image in my head with a rough idea where to look with all the 3 aforementioned headphones. For a long time I thought that is as good as it gets...

Cue SHP9500 - The fuzzy image behind the wall is a bit more clearer and I now had a bit more of an idea of which general area the footsteps are coming from, not only general rough direction. You know now it was further back or a wee bit closer. But I didn't spend much time with the SHP's as I got my 400i's and was grabbed by the texture and detail.

Now I have obtained DT990 PRO - Fuzzy image? What fuzzy image? I can now clearly see what is going, still a bit of a guess work, regarding how close one is in some situations, but it is a lot more accurate than any other headphones I have used. it is as close as it has ever been. I have never been able to tell where things are so clearly. Generally when I hear a big gunshot such as AWP in CS:GO with 400i it came from that general direction only difference being volume. With DT990's if it is far away you can get a rough idea where it came from, closer and you can pinpoint. Well without going too much into it as it is hard to explain, while DT990 is regarded only as good for gaming sub Q701 level for some reason, I found that I would place way higher than Q701 in terms of gaming. One thing to note, so far DT990 is the only headphone to give me a good sense of up and down in games. Obviously along with sense of depth, gets a bit blurry by distance, but it helps a lot since I no longer look in that general direction, but in the right direction, how far being the only variable.

Basically I want to know other people opinions about gaming and directional audio and how they perceive a good directional audio from bad one...Cause I seem to be different from other people since I don't think that Q701 is as good as people say it is, don't get me wrong it is a good headphone and it can be used in gaming, but it won't be my choice for gaming.

I have heard people say Soundstage width makes a good gaming headphone, or detail, or depth...Depth really adds to it, but I think You need a good combination of them all, I'd say DT990 just manages to combine them just right.

Note- I'm not saying DT990 is the best of the best of the best. I'm saying from what I currently own I will use them in gaming over anything else.  Also dat bass with explosive stuff damn.

Feb 28, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #4 of 4
Ossic Sounds interesting, don't particularly like closed headphones. But worth hearing about once they get it going.

And yes I amped the Q701's since it is one of my first headphones I used Essence one and then moved to E17k to get a bit more life out of them, by boosting bass and treble to tame them to my liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back