Headphones for Gaming and I like bass ;D
Mar 27, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #17 of 26

Quote:
I'd also take a look at the DT770, especially if you need isolation (i.e. if you're going to be going to lans and other offline events). Also if you have a loud clicky keyboard, it can get pretty distracting over open headphones, and here closed isolating headphones will once again be better. I played Quake 3 with a DT770 for a few years and it was definitely sufficient.
Beyers in general are built like tanks, with metal headbands and heavy-duty construction all-around. They're also some of the most comfortable headphones out there. They're not particularly easy to drive, but for gaming a built-in soundcard should be sufficient.

Thanks for the advice... I don't go to lans anymore really. I just like playing quake and css at a competitve level for fun. I really like open headphones when i lan with my buddy and play starcraft. Then I don't have to setup a lan mumble or anything.. Since we're right next to each other.

Also wondering MalVeauX what you think about the 600ohm set? 

Mar 27, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #18 of 26

Quote:
MalVeauX

I'm curious of ur opinion on an amp aswell now. Something that I can use with my titanium xfi. The mic recommendation is sick.. I was thinking a stand lol.

If you want to keep it simple, just change sound cards. Maybe look for a Titanium HD or Xonar STX. They have good headphone amplifiers built in.

Alternatively, you can simply output from your soundcard to an external discreet amplifier. And the prices for the needs of a 250ohm headphone can range from things as low as $80ish to ridiculously high, so you should probably set a budget. You can have a lot of fun here though. The Little Dot MK II comes to mind. Fiio E9 comes to mind.

Quote:

Also wondering MalVeauX what you think about the 600ohm set? 

I wouldn't worry about the impedance ratings. They are over-exaggerated to the point of them sounding like they're different headphones when they're not. The 600ohm premium DT990 is not leagues different from the DT990 PRO at 250ohms. I would save the extra money and get the PRO. It sounds virtually the same. The PRO may actually be a touch bassier, but not like night & day or anything.

Very best,

Mar 27, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #19 of 26

If you want to keep it simple, just change sound cards. Maybe look for a Titanium HD or Xonar STX. They have good headphone amplifiers built in.

Alternatively, you can simply output from your soundcard to an external discreet amplifier. And the prices for the needs of a 250ohm headphone can range from things as low as $80ish to ridiculously high, so you should probably set a budget. You can have a lot of fun here though. The Little Dot MK II comes to mind. Fiio E9
ir
 comes to mind.

Sweet. I think the Titanium HD looks like the best choice for me ;D I have a buddy to buy the titanium off me.

I wouldn't worry about the impedance ratings. They are over-exaggerated to the point of them sounding like they're different headphones when they're not. The 600ohm premium DT990 is not leagues different from the DT990 PRO at 250ohms. I would save the extra money and get the PRO. It sounds virtually the same. The PRO may actually be a touch bassier, but not like night & day or anything.

Thanks. I'm really happy I decided to post on head-fi. You guys rock ;D

Mar 27, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #20 of 26
Do you play QuakeLive? I played back in the OSP days... 6, 7 years ago? I don't really remember now. Speakeasy and OPC servers... those were some good memories. A lot of the guys I played with went on to full-time pro careers, but I just sort of faded away and quit. Now I'm way too old, and besides I wouldn't have the time to put into it to get back to that level, so I just stayed away from that whole life.

Modmic is a neat idea, but if you have open headphones and you attach something to the grille, it will reflect some of the backwave and change their sound. Not a major thing for gaming at all, but just something to keep in mind. If you use a directional (shotgun) mic with a stand, you can avoid picking up keyboard sounds - mostly - and just pick up your voice.

I'm not sure how well a built-in soundcard will drive a pair of 600 ohm headphones. Sticking with the 80 ohm version is probably a better idea, unless you're dead set on an amp. Here I wouldn't be the one to talk to, I've mostly used electrostatics.

Mar 27, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #21 of 26
Catscratch

Ya I play quakelive. I win the local lan every year ;P They play cpma most of the time though. I use push to talk all the time so I shouldn't have a problem with keyboard ;D Thanks for the advice. BRB gotta go to the store ;D

Mar 27, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #22 of 26
Ok so I wanna order these Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO Open Studio Headphones 250 Ohms. Just wondering if I'll damage them if I don't amp them? Like if I just use them for a bit with my X-Fi Titanium (non HD). Cause i'm going to just get the headphones for now and get the soundcard in a few checks :p

Mar 27, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #23 of 26

Quote:
Ok so I wanna order these Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO Open Studio Headphones 250 Ohms. Just wondering if I'll damage them if I don't amp them? Like if I just use them for a bit with my X-Fi Titanium (non HD). Cause i'm going to just get the headphones for now and get the soundcard in a few checks :p

You are not going to damage them plugging into anything or not having an amplifier. Go for it. And start saving for your next soundcard or one of the amplifiers (or another of course) suggested above.

Note, you can get them refurbed/used for $155. Prime shipped.

Very best,

Apr 11, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #26 of 26
What do you think about the Ultrasone HFI 2400 for gaming?  From your previous posts you always mention dt990 and hfi2400 as the main choices for fps gaming and bass.

How does the dt990 compare with the 2400 for music?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back