Headphones for games - looking for better bass - <= $1000 budget
Nov 25, 2022 at 12:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Aeonfire

New Head-Fier
I'm driving my currently Phillips X2HR with a Schitt Modius and Asgard. These should be easy to drive headphones, but I have to switch the high gain switch up to get some good volume from it. Not sure if that means I might have a defective amp, but maybe that's something for a different thread.

The X2HR's are a great pair of fairly neutral, extremely comfortable headphones, but I think it's time for an upgrade. I mainly used these for competitive gaming, but I've since quit playing most online FPSs and prefer single player games, now. I've been playing a lot of space games, mostly Eve and Elite Dangerous. Elite Dangerous, in particular, has what should be some amazing rumble and sound design. But I think these headphones struggle with lower frequencies and I'm not getting that real "chest punch" I want to feel like I get with a real subwoofer. I know nothing will match the power of my 2000w subwoofers I have in my basement home theater, but I want some faux presurization, wow factor, and fun for my games.

I am open to IEMs, too.

Ideally, looking at a $500ish budget, but if something out there exists that is just wow amazing that needs me to step up to $1000, I can make the stretch.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #2 of 8
At the $1000 range you can pick up a used TH900 (or MK2 if you look around), for bass th900 smokes every other headphones in this price category for both quantity and quality. However it does have quite an extreme v-shape sound signature, so if you're sensitive to brightness/sibilance in the highs then you may take offense. EQ can help as with pad rolling/mods, but ymmv of course

Another good $1000 option is used MDR-Z1R, this headphone can't match the energy of th900 but is more relaxed in the treble, very easy to listen to and still a satisfying elevated bass. This has (imo) less of that wow factor than th900, but still sounds very good and has the added benefit of being extremely well-built and comfortable (z1r wipes the floor with th900 in both build and comfort)

Dec 11, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #5 of 8
At the $1000 range you can pick up a used TH900 (or MK2 if you look around), for bass th900 smokes every other headphones in this price category for both quantity and quality. However it does have quite an extreme v-shape sound signature, so if you're sensitive to brightness/sibilance in the highs then you may take offense. EQ can help as with pad rolling/mods, but ymmv of course

Another good $1000 option is used MDR-Z1R, this headphone can't match the energy of th900 but is more relaxed in the treble, very easy to listen to and still a satisfying elevated bass. This has (imo) less of that wow factor than th900, but still sounds very good and has the added benefit of being extremely well-built and comfortable (z1r wipes the floor with th900 in both build and comfort)
I agree:thumbsup:

E6277667-AA75-4D46-B831-0AFD1228084D.jpeg

Jan 9, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #6 of 8
Thanks guys. I ended up getting a JM Modded HE-R9 used off another user, but ultimately have learned I am not an closed back headphone fan. That said, they're pretty fantastic when I need to block out the background noise of the world or my neighbor's dogs barking.

I was able to get a HE400SE for cheap to test out Hifiman and I was a fan of the type of bass those produced. Then I dropped them on the ground and now audio is uneven between each sides.

That lead me to finding a local store to try Audeze LCD-X and I was absolutely blown away with the sound of them with no EQ on all the music I listen to. I'm on the hunt for a nicely priced pair of them as I missed the $800 Black Friday sale. Also picking up some used Focal Clears - I know the bass isn't as impressive, but they might make for good daily drivers, and there is nowhere local that carries them.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 4:15 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks guys. I ended up getting a JM Modded HE-R9 used off another user, but ultimately have learned I am not an closed back headphone fan. That said, they're pretty fantastic when I need to block out the background noise of the world or my neighbor's dogs barking.

I was able to get a HE400SE for cheap to test out Hifiman and I was a fan of the type of bass those produced. Then I dropped them on the ground and now audio is uneven between each sides.

That lead me to finding a local store to try Audeze LCD-X and I was absolutely blown away with the sound of them with no EQ on all the music I listen to. I'm on the hunt for a nicely priced pair of them as I missed the $800 Black Friday sale. Also picking up some used Focal Clears - I know the bass isn't as impressive, but they might make for good daily drivers, and there is nowhere local that carries them.
https://www.moon-audio.com/audeze-lcd-gx-headphones-demo?sku=LCD-GX-open-box $800 open box

Users who are viewing this thread

Back