Headphones for friend, $50 budget.
Nov 30, 2011 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Cappuccino

Head-Fier
Hey, I'm here with a question. My friend wants to get some over-ear cans, and he came to me, asking what to get, as I'm the most knowledgeable of all his friends, but I don't know what to suggest. He wants lots of bass, and mainly listens to dubstep, such as Skrillex, Klaypex, etc. However, he has a budget $50. I'd really love if someone can throw out some ideas, lower the cost, the better. It'd be great if it was somewhere more around $30. He's no audiophile by any means, but it'd be nice if they sounded good, i.e. bass not muddy, distinguishable, highs and mids still there, because I might also get these cans. 

Nov 30, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #2 of 7

Quote:
Hey, I'm here with a question. My friend wants to get some over-ear cans, and he came to me, asking what to get, as I'm the most knowledgeable of all his friends, but I don't know what to suggest. He wants lots of bass, and mainly listens to dubstep, such as Skrillex, Klaypex, etc. However, he has a budget $50. I'd really love if someone can throw out some ideas, lower the cost, the better. It'd be great if it was somewhere more around $30. He's no audiophile by any means, but it'd be nice if they sounded good, i.e. bass not muddy, distinguishable, highs and mids still there, because I might also get these cans. 

http://www.jr.com/sony/pe/SON_MDRXB500/

Nov 30, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #3 of 7
Dubstep doesn't have distinguishable highs... Sony XB500 are in short, dubstep headphones. I'm all about detail, neutral sound etc but when it comes to dubstep it's bass, and lots of it. In fact a lot of dubstep is recorded for bass-heavy systems, and it doesn't sound good at all on a balanced phone. Also to pursued your decision; I sold my Ultrasone HFI-780 in favor of the Sony as I only used them for bass-heavy genres anyway.

Edit: I got beat too it. 

Nov 30, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #4 of 7
Heya,

Panasonic HTF600 > XB500.

In that order, for EDM on a budget.

Why? The HTF600 does the bass of the XB500, but has the mids & treble that the XB500 can only achieve with equalization. The HTF600 is simply superior.

And mids & highs do matter in dub. Saying otherwise, is a clear sign that one does not extensively listen to the grenre (the build up of teasing mids & treble up to 0:55seconds, the drop, the 1,2,3,4, etc.). Bass is a big deal in dub, but the rest of the spectrum is also important. The XB500 falls short on mids & treble. The Panasonic does not. Hence, it's superior.

Review linked in my signature on its model number (for both headphones, mind).

Very best,

Nov 30, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #5 of 7
Alright, thanks, but is there a chance of something lower priced?

Woops, didn't see that. Thanks!

Nov 30, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #7 of 7
I'm going to put my two cents in and say that I prefer the HTF600 to the XB500 greatly. The XB500, even when equalized to clean up the mids and highs, doesn't quite seem up to the HTF600.

Quote:
Heya,

Panasonic HTF600 > XB500.

In that order, for EDM on a budget.

Why? The HTF600 does the bass of the XB500, but has the mids & treble that the XB500 can only achieve with equalization. The HTF600 is simply superior.

And mids & highs do matter in dub. Saying otherwise, is a clear sign that one does not extensively listen to the grenre (the build up of teasing mids & treble up to 0:55seconds, the drop, the 1,2,3,4, etc.). Bass is a big deal in dub, but the rest of the spectrum is also important. The XB500 falls short on mids & treble. The Panasonic does not. Hence, it's superior.

Review linked in my signature on its model number (for both headphones, mind).

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back