Headphones for filmmaker
Sep 7, 2013 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

giunghelmacica

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody!

I'm a 2nd grade film student and right now I am venturing into the world of headphones... and I really could use some help!
I need full-size, closed-back headphones mainly for monitoring when shooting but also for editing.

So far I have been using mainly cheap earbuds which don't survive working with me for more than 2 or 3 months.. the cable simply breaks. Now I've had enough of these! The one most important feature I'd like to have for this reason is a detachable cable!

I've been looking at the Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs (I know the cable isn't detachable but they claim it's easily replaceable), and the Shure SRH440, but of course I'm open to new suggestions - although as a student I can't afford much more expensive ones..

I would really appreciate any help you can give me!

Sep 7, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #2 of 10
You can't go wrong with the Sony MDR-V6. KRK KNS-8400 is another great monitoring headphone but they have a very long straight cable. Then there's the Sennheiser HD25-1 II which is great for filming but might be uncomfortable for use for several hours especially if editing. I think the V6 or 7506 would be your best choice.

The only one that has detachable cable is the KRK. The HD25's cable is also detachable but you'd have to unscrew it. Not worth the hassle.

Sep 8, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 10
Hello!

The SRH-440 have fragile build so it might not work on you + there's some comfort issue but if you are willing to take a step up for SRH-840's pads on the SRH-440, the comfort issue should be solved... Mostly xD

Other headphones like Sennheiser HD439 also offer detachable cable and build wise, they are mostly plastic but does not cracks easily... Pretty well put together

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Sep 8, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #4 of 10
You can't go wrong with the Sony MDR-V6. 

+1 

The HD25s also sound great but are on ear (NOT full size, so they might be uncomfortable for longer sessions as said before)
lol this is probably way out of your price range but if you want an indestructible headphone german maestro gmp 8.35 d are perfect 
biggrin.gif

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #5 of 10
Wow! Thaks for the quick reply!

Although I would use SRH-840 pads, if the SRH-440 are fragile, they are not meant for me..
Unfortunately almost all the phones you recommended are out of my budget right now.. I would love to have headphones of unquestionable quality but I'll save that option for when I have an own income..

However, the Sennheiser HD439 looks good, I'll check that one !

Again, many thanks!

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #6 of 10
KRK KNS6400, hard to ignore it given your uses. 

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #9 of 10
After some researching I got the impression that the KNS6400s would serve better for monitoring, however, I could not find a place in Europe I could order replacement cables from 
frown.gif
Don't you happen to know such a dealer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back