Headphones for electronic drums
Jun 22, 2013 at 12:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

fredhammersmith

New Head-Fier
My 10-year old son is due to begin drum lessons next fall. But to spare everybody mental breakdown, we will settle for an electronic drum, probably a budget-line Yamaha or Roland model.
Anyway, although I will hook up him often to my Neumann monitors, the headphones are gonna be a critical part of his equipment. I don't want him to be deaf at 14. Any advice for cans in this particular situation? Looking for a model not exceeding 150$. Sennheiser HD 280 Pro look like a nice option at 120$

Jun 22, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #2 of 7
You might consider open headphones so you can easily monitor how loud the headphones are turned up, and so that he can hear you if you need to get his attention. Open headphones have been a blessing with my middle schooler at my house for that last reason :)

Jun 24, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #4 of 7
Well your original question was about headphones but I would suggest you to buy him Yamaha DTXpress IV. They are pretty decent drums and not so expensive. Their pads are much better responding compared to Roland's in same price range.

Also electonic drums do not mean a sound free environment. His drumsticks will still make some fine amount of noise. Also, he will insist on an acoustic one in a year or two so be prepared :)

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #5 of 7
I have an Alesis DM 10x that I use when I dont want to wake the neighbors and for the price its pretty decent. I like the larger size of the drums and I LOVE the "real" drum heads for feel. The module out of the box is OK but after a few hours online doing some research the sensitivity and sound can become just about perfect.

I use a pair of HD280's, I have used my 598's and even my 650's and while they sound better I find that I have to turn up the volume too loud to not hear stick noises and such.

Go for the HD280's

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #6 of 7
1. Acoustic drums are way better IMO, maybe starting out it wont bother him but every time I try to play electronics I can't open the high hats the way I want and the snare and cymbal chokes seem so artificial sounding, I don't even mind the rubber pads as much as just the lack of expression, but they are fun to play with all the sounds and practice at 2AM, if you have a mixer and headphone amp/splitter you can even have every one plug in and wear headphones and have a silent jam session.

I'm aware you have already decided on a electronic kit and I'm not telling you not to get one, I'm just stating my opinion, I have had an acoustic kit for like 8 years and as long as I'm not bashing the crap out of it when people are sleeping or on the phone my parents never cared.

2. I agree with the recommendations get a Yamaha or Alesis, Roland wants way to much money and I would only consider them if there is a certain feature you want and are willing to pay for.

3. About the headphones, I think you will find using him and yourself using the monitors at lower volumes more than head phones but headphones are still a good idea. About his hearing, your just going to have to tell him to not turn them up to loud, I wouldn't worry to much, why would he go deaf in the first place? He probably listens to music louder than the will he drums.

I don't like the 280HD's not enough bass and they are going to get really hot really fast drumming and have a very hard clamping force. The DT770's Pro 80ohm and the 770M drum monitors are popular with acoustic kit players because they have a lot of sound isolation, however I would say they are better than the 280's having more bass and being more comfortable with velour pads but still having a strong clamping force to stay on your head.

I'd suggest Ultrasone HFI580's, Creative (CAL!), DT770's (getting hard to find) or even something like the V-Moda M80's or LP2's would work.

Quote:
Well your original question was about headphones but I would suggest you to buy him Yamaha DTXpress IV. They are pretty decent drums and not so expensive. Their pads are much better responding compared to Roland's in same price range.

Also electronic drums do not mean a sound free environment. His drumsticks will still make some fine amount of noise. Also, he will insist on an acoustic one in a year or two so be prepared :)

I agree you might wanna pick out a nice room in the basement and install some sound deadening.

Jun 25, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #7 of 7
K I just wrote a big huge thing and lost it alll basically

280HD's don't have enough bass and have a very hard clamping force, get Ultrasone HFI580's, Creative Aurvana LIVE!, DT770's or V-Moda M80's or LP2.

About the drums the monitors will probably be better than headphones, but headphones are good to have and why would your son do deaf? Just tell him not to listen to loud for to long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back