Headphones for drumming
Feb 19, 2004 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

roe

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a pair of headphones that i can use while i'm playing my drums along with my ipod. Therefore, i need a pair of headphones that are great with cancelling outside noise and they have to be comfortable. I do not want canal earphones, but rather something that wraps overtop of the head for more support while playing. The headphones also need to have good bass and a crisp sound so i can hear the drums well. The only problem is that my price range is around 50$. Has anyone had any experience with headphones and drumming that might prove useful? If anyone can recommend a good pair of headphones that fit my criteria i would be very appreciative. Thanks for your input

Feb 19, 2004 at 3:47 PM Post #2 of 17
The Beyerdynamic DT 770 M(http://www.image-acquire.com/beyerdy...c_dt_770m.html) is designed for drummers, but it's way above your price range. There aren't many 'phones to begin with that will isolate well enough, much less around $50. Save up!
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2004 at 9:44 PM Post #3 of 17
I went to a local musician's store and saw a Roland V-Concert hooked up to a pair of Sennheiser HD-280 Pro's. A surprisingly good combo!

Feb 20, 2004 at 12:14 AM Post #6 of 17
Meier-Audio states that the Ultrasone HFI-550 Beatmaster is "specifically designed for professional use by drummers and bass players"
So you might want to give that a look or two
wink.gif

-Taurui

Feb 20, 2004 at 12:18 AM Post #7 of 17
sony v6.
I use these with my electronic drumset. They are very analytical which I love because I can easily discern between my playing and the drummer in the music. They also isolate decent enough that I can't hear the pads when I strike them.

OBLIGATORY WARNING: Wear ear protection under the phones, please.

Feb 20, 2004 at 2:07 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by raif
OBLIGATORY WARNING: Wear ear protection under the phones, please.

What?! Why not just turn it down??

Feb 20, 2004 at 12:45 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

cause you can't turn down accoustic drums

Sure you can.... using the miracle technology known as "brushes"
smily_headphones1.gif

You're advice is good though. I drummed for about 15 years and never used earplugs, and I think it has taken some toll on my hearing.

Feb 20, 2004 at 1:09 PM Post #11 of 17
The Senn HD25-1's have a split band that you could adjust to where it is almost impossible to come off. Even if you were on Tommy Lees spinning drum thing from the 90's. They also have great isolation and solid bass response.

Feb 20, 2004 at 6:36 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

cause you can't turn down accoustic drums

Sorry, I didn't read the post carefully enough, I thought he was using electronic drums.

Still, he could use a lower stick or use some kind of deadener.

It's a shame you've only 50 dollars. Ety's would be a great compromise.

Feb 20, 2004 at 7:07 PM Post #14 of 17
sennheiser hd212pro, these phones have emphasis on bass, and drumbeats sound good on them. alittle boomy on heavy bass music, but punchy as well. but not a whole lot to kill the other details. they have a decent isolation, slightly better than the sony v6. the isolation obviously cant compare to canalphones, but they are good enough for outside. they have velour earpads which are comfortable. they are just big enough to cover my entire ears. they cost $50 new.

Feb 21, 2004 at 4:57 AM Post #15 of 17
thanks for all of your replies..however, i still have to stick to my 50$ budget.. after a recommendation from a friend i look on the website www.musiciansfriend.com and i searched for headphones between 25 and 50$ this is the link http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...EADPHONES/d=tp it would be greatly appreciated if someone could look through those and recommend what would be best for my needs...thank you again for all of your replies

Users who are viewing this thread

Back