headphones for dorm
Sep 9, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #16 of 32
Don't worry that you can't get decent phones for around $50. You can.

Sony MDR-V6 $65 - closed, don't leak sound, many people have had them for years and years and they keep on truckin. They sound fine.

Sennheiser PX-100 $39.99 at many online retailers. They are surprisingly small, sound GREAT for the price and size, but are closed and leak a bit, but not a lot, cause they are so small to begin with. 2-year warranty.

Sennheiser HD-201 $25.00. Closed, don't leak sound, much larger than the PX-100's, and sound fine for $25 too. Cord is very long. 2-year warranty.

Koss Porta Pro - Haven't heard them, but a lot of people like them for $50, but they are an open design and leak sound. They have a lifetime warranty so save your packaging and receipt.

AKG K26P or AKG K414P, either about $60. The 414 are the new and improved model, but you can still find the 26P's at Amazon for prob less than that. These are also tiny, and are sealed so little sound leakage. They clamp on your ears HARD and block out the phone ringing. Mucho mucho bass, due a lot to the large clamping force, and many feel this bass is too muddy, bloated, and in poor taste. Others, not so much. But they certainly dispel the myth that you have to buy large cans to get bass. These little guys will certainly de-wax your ears. 2-year warranty.

Happy listening.

Sep 10, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerumenator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Koss Porta Pro - Haven't heard them, but a lot of people like them for $50, but they are an open design and leak sound. They have a lifetime warranty so save your packaging and receipt.

AKG K26P or AKG K414P, either about $60. The 414 are the new and improved model, but you can still find the 26P's at Amazon for prob less than that. These are also tiny, and are sealed so little sound leakage. They clamp on your ears HARD and block out the phone ringing. Mucho mucho bass, due a lot to the large clamping force, and many feel this bass is too muddy, bloated, and in poor taste. Others, not so much. But they certainly dispel the myth that you have to buy large cans to get bass. These little guys will certainly de-wax your ears. 2-year warranty.

Happy listening.

I have both the Porta Pro, and the AKG 414's. I find the 414's the more 'fun' headphone because of that bass- I quite enjoy that for my casual listening set around work. But I like the Porta Pro's sound a bit better overall with its better accuracy. They are very very nice for the price you can get them for on Amazon. But they let in too much background noise in any kind of a noisy environment like a dorm.

Sep 11, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #18 of 32
I would suggest getting a pair of KSC 75's (12 USD) and some JVC Marshmallows (15-20 USD, depends on where you get them). Those would be easy to get and should work in most situations (plus, they're both highly portable).

You could use the rest of the money to try the FiiO amp. I've yet to hear it, but it's gotten pretty rave reviews. I'll probably have to pick one of these up.

Otherwise, I would pick up a pair of Crossroads Mylarone X3i's from Jaben.net (57 USD).

Nylan

Sep 11, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #19 of 32
try the sony mdr-d777 on ebay great price wear them for hours forget they are even there..
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 11, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #20 of 32
my vote goes to the hd280. your roommate will not be able to hear the music, and you won't be able to hear your roommate either. They isolate very well, and don't leak at all.

Sep 11, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #21 of 32
My stock warning on the HD280s: Some love them, others hate them.
Same goes for the AKG K26Ps.

So, if you're thinking of these, you might want to try before you buy.

Also, both the PX100 and PortaPros are great headphones for just a bit more than your budget, but they're open. The leak sound out.

Conclusion: I think think you should got for HD201 and a Fiio. If you have a few extra dollars, throw in a KSC75. Open cans, but great and cheap to boot.

No comment on the Sony suggestions, due to ignorance on my part.

Oct 10, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD202 or EH150 - there you go.

x2
they are closed-back(minimal sound leakage but it allows some noise in), quite affordable and forgiving, I heard the headband is very durable. IMO, great value for your money. I wanted to get either but I can't seem to find one available.

Or perhaps iem's such as creative ep-630 or senn cx300. They block noise pretty well and they are very portable too and easy to drive. I own ksc75, love the sound and comfort but they leak like crazy. I use them in the office and my co-workers give me that sarcastic smile and furious look if you know what I mean. PX100 is not good either, I've tried it several times, the sound is actually good, very balance and somehow flat-sounding to my liking not to mention they leak craploads of your music (just like my koss). Again I suggest you get the hd202/201 or eh150 from senns. (you can lend them to your dorm mates and develop better camaraderie, and who knows you might even develop more than friendship, something special like love lol
tongue_smile.gif

music, headphones, friendship, love
cheers!
beerchug.gif

Oct 10, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #24 of 32
I'm surprised only one person has mentioned the MDR V6's. For around $70 you really can't go wrong,they sound as good as headphones running in the $200 range,they don't leak sound and they're tough as nails.

Oct 10, 2008 at 8:50 AM Post #25 of 32
ksc75's for 15 bucks is the champ for cheap listening. I have drawer full of them. Although I'm not a fan of the senn px100, they seem like a popular cheap phone here at headfi. Lots of bass if you're into that kind of stuff. I'd personally save a bit more and grab the ms1s at the 100 dollar price point. Have fun!

Edit: ooh didn't notice it was for dorm use... In that case, save up for the dt770s. They're super silent but you gotta spend a bit more. If you want buds, go for the re2s.

Oct 10, 2008 at 10:41 AM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by thecysd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Need good headphone ,please connect me !!!

Shut up and sit down.

Oct 18, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #27 of 32
hi mates, right now I'm dealing with the same problem, I'll give you some hints about how is the situation in my country (Czech Republic).
I suppose I could order cans form other country, but paying is a bit problematic...
*so our market is narrower, companies like Grando, MDR, Crossroads...if you want quality, your options are KOSS, Senn, AKG
*different relation in prices, so piece A you consider cheaper might be more expansive, than piece B
for some overview look at this and other pages
klasická sluchátka
I'm also looking for full cabs, I have big ears, that's why I can't have KSC 75, that's like torturing to me
smile.gif
, so standard headband
*I'd prefere closed...
budget, well I don't think I could hear the ethernality of HD 280 Pro's or something like that
biggrin.gif
, so I don't want to go much further than 1000,- CZK (~55 USD), well I'd always say "only 200 CZK from that and I could have these, then again only 300 CZK and I could..)
*what I noticed?:
HD 201 + Fiio- problematic shippment, Fiio could be for 150CZK, but can't accept impact of + 3dB on bass, but -3dB on hights, because I'm not basshead, I like to hear it clearly (in SOAD, Muse, Coldplay..) but mids and hights are more important..
and that's the problem, from graphs
HD 202- better bass, mids same, hights worse, price + 500CZK (to 201s)
EH 150-better bass(but not as 202s), mids same, hights worse, + 300 CZK, strange design
I could accept quality of PX 100, moreover it's bigger brother, HD 415, but both will leak, cause they're opened..
so first closed cans I find acceptable above are EH 250s, but still, it's 1850CZK and not that big improvement over 150s..
then there are HD 457, better bass and mids over 250s, but opened, so HD 415 would be better
HD 212 Pro seem better in bass and mids over 250s, but I'm not sure about hights..
I'm not sure about those closed KOSSes, cheap ones aren't better than HD 201, I don't know much about the others..
heh, what would you suggest? (PS: it'S fore notebook, but I'd like to take them out sometimes, my MP3 is this cheap piece http://www.disk2go.com/dl/specs/spec...cardnmusic.pdf
biggrin.gif
, now I use Senns MX 50s, 64 ohms and no problem with volume, but traffic is disturbing.. )

Oct 18, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #30 of 32
for ATH, I can give you this page
http://www.audio-technica.cz/sluchatka/
whole bunch of them, but I don't know them.. you can browse by "profi/domácí/audiofilská/přenosná"
as for JVC, this is Czech page, those models aren't there :/
JVC ÄŒeská Republika » Katalogu › Audio › Sluchátka
EDIT:Although I haven't seen/found any graphs, I consider ATH-T44 or ATH-SJ5 good according to posts here, but still I'd like to see graph comparation to e.g. HD 415...
still I'm bit upset about the difference in price, here it's cca 70 USD, which is 20 more, and that goes for most of electronics.., but here you don't have to worry about warranty, which is 2 years minimum, not one year like in US..
How is it about AT's global warranty?
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back