headphones for dorm
Sep 7, 2008 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

wilson99

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking for headphones to use in my dorm. I'm trying not to disturb my roommates with my music and also would like them to feel comfortably for long periods of time since I'm on my computer a lot. Trying to spend under 50 bucks.

Thanx

Sep 7, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #2 of 32
$50 isn't going to get you much. You can get JVC Marshmallows or Sennheiser CX300s for cheap, but they aren't amazing.

If you can spend $100, the Audio Technica A700 would be great for you, because of their closed design. The Denon D1001 is also a good buy for ~$100.

Sep 7, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #3 of 32
Well, my first choice is more than what you budgeted for: AKG 271s with velour ear pad to replace the pleather ones. With luck on Ebay you'd find a pair for around 150. Pad from Headroom are 35 plus 10 shipping.

Now let's get closer to your budget: Less than 30 bucks or so gets you a pair of Sennheiser HD 201. Closed headphone. Pretty confortable. Decent sound.

Open phones can be annoying for those in one's vicinity, otherwise, I'd recommend Grado SR-60 (70 bucks).

You'll find that 50 bucks doesn't buy much (then again I got a pair of AKG 301's used in great shape for 40 with shipping--but they are open phones with lots of sound leak--but real comfy).

Good luck.

Sep 7, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #4 of 32
Ugh, $50? Lo siento amigo, pero $50 isn't going to net you much.

I personally use KSC75 for when anybody else is in the dorm room (barely leaks, actually), and when everybody is out and I'm a loner, I use the Grado SR225.
wink.gif

Sep 7, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #5 of 32
What about lower-end IEMs like the Shure e2c? They're only a bit above your price range, sound good for what they cost and are very portable if you have an ipod or other player and want to use them on the go.

Sep 7, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #7 of 32
If you can stretch your budget to $100-ish, the Sennheiser HD280 Pros or M-Audio Studiophile Q40s would both be great closed cans. Both can be found online (eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices, Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more) for around 100 bucks. Good isolation and much better SQ than can be found in $50-ish options.

I got a pair of the JVC marshmallows (Kramer modded). They sound decent, but the lower frequencies are muddy compared to my Q40s and the highs are a bit bright for my taste (I prefer a darker/colder sound usually)

Sep 7, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #8 of 32
For $90 you can get a sweet pair of RE2's, throw in another $8.50 for a Fiio amp, and you'll be laughing in your room, on your way to lectures, and in the lecture room itself if you can't be arsed to listen to the prof.

Sep 8, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #9 of 32
See, wouldn't a budget-fi subforum be great now?

OK, since you're worried about sound leakage, I'd recommend: Sennheiser HD201 + Fiio amp.
The HD201s are great for the price (~$30) and they improve a lot when paired with the Fiios (~$10). Plus, despite the pleather, they're pretty comfy and I never got hot/sweaty ears. So, that's $40.

Now, if you're going to consider anything more than $50, I'd say the Denon D1001s if Amazon.com still has them for $70+. They can go unamped. The verdict on the 1001+Fiio combo is ambivalent, but I don't think the Fiios do anything good to them. Unless you really like your bass.

If you go for the HD201+Fiio combo and can find a pair of KSC75s for cheap, you should def. get those too. Heck, even if you get them from street price, that doesn't put you much above $50...for TWO headphones and an amp. Sweet.

Sep 8, 2008 at 8:50 AM Post #10 of 32
Koss headphones would be great for your budget, but keep in mind they're open. Don't think you'd want to go for anything in-ear if you plan to listen for long periods of time. Sennheiser PX100s are also great for the money. I'd also like to recommend Grados, but they leak quite a bit, although not so much from my own listening experiences since I keep my volume at really low levels.

Sep 8, 2008 at 9:41 AM Post #11 of 32
The Koss KSC75s and Portapros both leak (I'm not sure which rockbottom was referring to. Prolly 75?). The PX100s and Grados also leak.

That said, keep in mind that they might not leak badly enough for you to discount them altogether. The PX100s and Grados are beyond $50. The 75s and PortaPros are sub-$50.

A note on the HD280s suggested above. You want to try these first, before spending $100. Some love 'em, some hate 'em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back