Headphones for dictation/music
Mar 28, 2012 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

doctorjazz

There is no Dana, there is only ZOTL!
Reviewer for The Headphone List
I've looked a bit, don't see any thread on my current issue. I work in a medical practice, I'm a pediatrician, and we have changed to Electronic Health Records (EHR) over the past 5 years. I won't go into too many details, but my ability to see patients quickly has been completely destroyed since we changed over, causing me to bring home hours of charting after long office hours (at one point I was so busy I was averaging 4-5 hours of sleep/night). We recently got a new doc who, aside from his specialty, is also very knowledgeable in computers, and he took over medical records. He recommended I try bypassing the EHR by dictating with Dragon and pasting my note in the EHR. He also recommended I by a $3000+ laptop to handle the notes, and use it for nothing else (I can supply details if needed-don't know them off the top of my head). He even discouraged using a Headset I purchased from Amazon, as it plugged in via USB, which would require drivers be installed. Dragon is very sensitive to any outside noise, and requires quiet to be accurate. Hence, my dillemma. I have always loved to have music playing as I work...this is confusing Dragon no end. I use a headset that came with Dragon...the question is...is there a headphone/mic that would be useful in this way, plug in through the mic and headphone inputs, and sound good, so I could listen to music that way while dictating? I have some nice headphones, high end living room rig, thousands of LP's/CDs/FLACS I like to listen to, but working with no music will seriously limit my listening time, which is less than I'd like as it is. Good sound would be important to me, if such a thing exists. Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back