Headphones for desktop use
Dec 4, 2006 at 8:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

tuhnu

100+ Head-Fier
What I'm getting soon: X-Fi Xtreme Music, Original Master amp
What I'm getting later: an external dac

I use my computer mainly for listening to music but a bit for games, movies and casual music tracking with Renoise.

I listen to a variety of genres, I would say almost anything but heavy metal. Mainly ambient/idm/anything electronic and alt rock though. What would you recommend?

I've been considering DT880 or DT990. What are the main differences with these and which might be more suitable for tracking? Of course, any other recommendations are welcome too. Thanks!

Dec 4, 2006 at 8:30 AM Post #2 of 9
Although I don't know too much about those two, I do know that the DT880's might not have the bass impact for movies and games, while the DT990's would. You should try a search, though.

Dec 4, 2006 at 8:39 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by flamerz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although I don't know too much about those two, I do know that the DT880's might not have the bass impact for movies and games, while the DT990's would. You should try a search, though.

In fact I did a search and found out the "main differences". So my question wasn't quite accurate. I was really thinking if the DT880 has enough bass, even if not as much as DT990. I don't like my bass too light or boomy, just in the middle of those. Neutral and tight.

Dec 4, 2006 at 2:10 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuhnu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In fact I did a search and found out the "main differences". So my question wasn't quite accurate. I was really thinking if the DT880 has enough bass, even if not as much as DT990. I don't like my bass too light or boomy, just in the middle of those. Neutral and tight.

Sounds like DT880 is just what you're looking for:

http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/inde...;pid;1348;pt;1

Amped with some EQ, I think they are a top choice, and definitely the best bang for the buck.

Dec 4, 2006 at 5:19 PM Post #5 of 9
Why not just go for the a500/700/900? There very neutral and are great sounding. Top quality, for sound and comfort. Well I would choose them, but you should at least look at them:

You can find them all here: http://www.audiocubes.com/category/H...ile,+Hifi.html

Dec 4, 2006 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 9
I read a bit more on the DT990 and it seems to get quite a bit of praising. Very difficult to decide. If I only could compare them somehow! DT880 would certainly be more friendly on my thin wallet.

Hmm.
plainface.gif

I guess I'm going with DT880. I hope Original Master is suitable. Based on what I read, DT880 really needs some good amplification. Thanks for the advice!

Dec 4, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Technex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not just go for the a500/700/900? There very neutral and are great sounding. Top quality, for sound and comfort.

Time to read on these then. I'm quite the newbie and my listening experience consists of unamped analog out from A2ZS with Koss PortaPro and AKG K240DF. Though KSC-75's are on their way based on what I read on Head-Fi. Now, onward with my quest for nice ear warmers...

Dec 4, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #9 of 9
DT880s are very nice headphones but they don't sound good with all music and sound soutright bad with some redordings. EQ can mitigate that problem but if you listen to a variety of music, having them as your only headphones wouldn't be such a great idea IMO. That shouldn't stop you from getting them though: you could always get a Portapro or some other decent bassy cheapo to help you deal with bad and/or really bright recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back