Headphones for Death/Black/Thrash metal - advice needed
Jan 17, 2014 at 8:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Golota

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'm a complete noob when it comes to the world of headphones. I'm currently using a V-Jays set, which I really like. Unfortunately, I stepped on them and thes seem to be beyond repair now. I have been lurking here for a few weeks and kind of got the head-fi bug, so now I'm looking for a replacement.

I normally listen to bands like: Death, Slayer, Behemoth, Inquisition, Immortal, Dimmu Borgir,etc  with occassionally some lighter genres, but almost exclusively rock/amped guitar based.

These are my requirements:

- They needto be portables to some extent. Not for sports, but for walking, biking and travel.
- I have little kids and a wife, whom I don't want to wake up, so I would prefer closed earphones
- I don't like IEMs. Can't wear them, got serious tinnitus, even at low volume.
- Using my phone Samsung S3 with "good quality" mp3s and flac files. No amplification.
- I really like punchy bass, but of course these are mostly guitar based genres.

I more or less narrowed it down to Beyerdynamic DT770, Sennheiser HD25-1-II, Creative Audio Live. Grados are not really an option, as they are not sold where I live and it would be really expensive, plus they leak sound (from what I have heard)

I do not wat to spend a fortune, so up to say 200 USD. Is the DT770 or the HD25 that much better than the CAL with my set-up, that they justify the double price? What else could you recommend? 

Thanks a lot guys, your help is really appreciated.

Jan 25, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #2 of 11
No replys?

I'm also looking at Superluxes, especially the 662 series (have no ide which one B or F).

A couple of samples to what I'm listening to:

So what I'm looking for is a headphone that has:

- Instrument separation
- Punchy, but tight bass for kickdrums
- Can handle speed

Any ideas?

Jan 25, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #3 of 11
Among those you listed, and considering you'll use them straight out of an S3, I'd say the HD25-II is your best bet. They'll handle double pedal drums well enough (I've tried them with a Cowon S9 - amplification specs shouldn't be too different), and one of the songs I tested was Ov Fire and the Void. Just be careful about cranking them up because the earpads don't go completely around your ears, so there will be enough of a gap between them and your skin where sound can leak out (but basically just don't use them at high volume right next to somebody sleeping).

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #4 of 11
  Among those you listed, and considering you'll use them straight out of an S3, I'd say the HD25-II is your best bet. They'll handle double pedal drums well enough (I've tried them with a Cowon S9 - amplification specs shouldn't be too different), and one of the songs I tested was Ov Fire and the Void. Just be careful about cranking them up because the earpads don't go completely around your ears, so there will be enough of a gap between them and your skin where sound can leak out (but basically just don't use them at high volume right next to somebody sleeping).

Thanks!  was checking out prices, but it seems like the HD25 is almost 300USD where I live and the Beyer is similarly priced, so I will probably have to go for something cheaper...I'm currently looking at the Superlux HD662 and the CAL. I'm reading very mixed opinions on how these compare, so I could use an educated opinion here. Is there anything else I should consider in the 100 USD range?

Jan 26, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #5 of 11

Thanks!  was checking out prices, but it seems like the HD25 is almost 300USD where I live and the Beyer is similarly priced, so I will probably have to go for something cheaper...I'm currently looking at the Superlux HD662 and the CAL. I'm reading very mixed opinions on how these compare, so I could use an educated opinion here. Is there anything else I should consider in the 100 USD range?

None that I know of, as I haven't tried any Superlux. Conflicting reports on those can be from vastly different experience of users - those who are upgrading from cheap systems of all sorts (if they have speakers at all), and those who might be looking for a cheaper alternate headphone coming from a better system (even if it's just speakers). The former might be easily amazed while the latter are awfully underwhelmed and they don't even take into account if they're a great buy at that price (or they have a cheap, go-to fave, the SR60 - which is something nearly half of all people I know on speakers have).

Jan 26, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #6 of 11
Takstar Pro 80 could be a better option for you than the CAL. Check out the Takstar thread there are some comparisons and lots of good information. I know nothing of the Samsung S3 though, you might need a dac/amp solution (from my clip+ they seem fine for metal). Just listened to some Pantera & Metallica (Mac Mini > E17). Sounded decent.

The big downside is the coiled cable which could be annoying for walking etc. (They are changing this apparently)

Jan 27, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #7 of 11
Thanks for the advice. I checked the Takstar and it seems to get good reviews. How does that measure up against the Superlux HD662? The Takstar costs 2x as much as the Superlux. Can I assume that the price difference is justified?

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #11 of 11
Takstar Pro 80 could be a better option for you than the CAL. Check out the Takstar thread there are some comparisons and lots of good information. I know nothing of the Samsung S3 though, you might need a dac/amp solution (from my clip+ they seem fine for metal). Just listened to some Pantera & Metallica (Mac Mini > E17). Sounded decent.

The big downside is the coiled cable which could be annoying for walking etc. (They are changing this apparently)

After reading through various threads, I settled with a Takstar Pro 80. I ordered it from China. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Thanks, everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back