Headphones for D2+?
Oct 20, 2009 at 11:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Spykk3

New Head-Fier
I've purchased a D2+ which should be here tomorrow! Finally ditching the nano.

Anyway, I'm running a pair of eh150's and it seems like it's time to upgrade since I'm upgrading my PMP. I'm looking for suggestions about what kind of headphones to get. I dislike IEMs for several reasons, and would prefer not to go any bigger than the EH150's. I will be using them for going back and forth to college/work on the bus, and while in college. I need them to not leak very much, and as much ambient noise cancellation as possible (bus gets loud).

I listen to a ridiculously broad spectrum of music, so I'd also need some all-rounders sound-wise. I do like my bass, however.

I've seen lots of threads similar to this one, but most seem to suggest IEMs.

My budget would be around $150, for either 'phones or an amp/phones combo. If I have to go a bit over, I'm not overly concerned. I play airsoft, so I'm used to being poor.

Thanks!

Oct 20, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #2 of 17
Sennheiser HD25-1 II. Some other headphones may beat them in a category or two, but I can't think of another portable phone that's as well-rounded.

Oct 20, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #4 of 17
I've had the Sennheiser HD-25 I since 2004 and while I haven't heard more expensive models, I would say that these excel in every category. The full spectrum of sound is done very well on these.

Oct 20, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spykk3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent, I'll add those to my list. Is there any particular category that they fall short in?

Looks... for some people. Also, they aren't as portable as some of the competition since they don't really fold and the earcups don't rotate flat.

Oct 20, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #6 of 17
There are different choices out there, just be careful that the impedance should be at least 32 Ohm for D2+.

My suggestions:

Sennheiser CX 440 II
Ulimate Ears SF3

Oct 20, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are different choices out there, just be careful that the impedance should be at least 32 Ohm for D2+.

My suggestions:

Sennheiser CX 440 II
Ulimate Ears SF3

Not true. The D2+ works fine with the majority of 16-ohm IEMs (Sensitivity is a major factor too). It's definitely one of the cleaner-sounding players out there. Also, the OP specifically asked for non-IEM suggestions.

Oct 21, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #8 of 17
Yes, I have a bad habit of breaking and/or losing IEMs, so I would rather not get expensive, quality ones. Cheapest price that I've found HD25 1 II's was $199USD

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the replies

Oct 21, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spykk3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I have a bad habit of breaking and/or losing IEMs, so I would rather not get expensive, quality ones. Cheapest price that I've found HD25 1 II's was $199USD

Any other suggestions?

Don't worry, the HD25's are also indestructible (literally
wink.gif
). I guess I grossly underestimated the prices for new HD25-1 II's - I got mine during the epic 50% off deal at newegg.

As for alternatives, I'm impartial to the AKG K81dj, but I'm the first to admit that they are not in the same league as the HD25's. I do like them better than ATH-ES7's though, which are often praised as the best sub-$100 portable. I've also got a set of JVC HA-M750 on the way - they are pretty new but have received some high praise so far. Others you may want to consider are the Senn HD228 and Denon AH-D1001k, but I haven't tried either, and the K181Dj, which I know nothing about.

Oct 21, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #10 of 17
I'm gonna have to give a plug in for Denon D1001, great pair of cans.

Oct 21, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #13 of 17
Those Grados look like they wouldn't take too much of a beating. I dislike to admit it, but this IS going to be my portable rig, it's going to get banged up.

Would I need an amp with the HD 25-1s? If so, any suggestions?

The D2+ came today. Oh the difference that quality makes!

Oct 21, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #14 of 17
Lol... Grados are completely open. They're the last thing you want for commuting. Dre Tour Beats are IEMs. Don't you love it when people make recommendations without reading the post?

HD25-1 II don't need an amp. They do scale up well with one, but it really isn't necessary. Part of what makes them relatively cost effective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back