Headphones for cycling??
Jul 6, 2004 at 7:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

geek42

Head-Fier
Howdy folks,

I've been doing a lot of road riding recently, and I'm looking for a set of headphones that will work well for that purpose... I've got KSC-35's, which don't work very well because of the wind noise associated with them, but I'm looking to stick with the (mostly) open phone - cars are scary, and I want to hear them. My main problem has been finding phones that allow me to hear the world, without drowning out the music from the rushing of wind... Any suggestions?

Jul 6, 2004 at 9:19 AM Post #2 of 31
sounds like ear buds would fit the task if you listen at moderate levels... perhaps the MX 500 or sony EX-88(something like that)?? have you used any decent quality ear buds in the past? and if so where u happy with the sound comfort? i used to use my koss headphones for cycling but aswell found that there was to much noise from them when i was goin fast/in windy conditions so i went to the MX500 and am very happy with wot i get from there.

cheers
-jake

Jul 6, 2004 at 9:22 AM Post #3 of 31
I use MX500s for mountain biking with an iPod. I don't like using anything on the road. Like you said "cars are scarey".

Jul 6, 2004 at 10:55 AM Post #4 of 31
although more expensive, the b&o a8 are your best choice, i've tried dozens of clip ons and such and none of them stayed on, so if you're serious about the a8 should be an consideration

Jul 6, 2004 at 12:49 PM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by lextek
I use MX500s for mountain biking with an iPod. I don't like using anything on the road. Like you said "cars are scarey".

I do a TON of mountain biking in Texas and have always wanted to have my tunes with me. Pardon my lack of knowledge, but who makes the MX500s? And do they wrap around your ear to help keep them in place?

Jul 6, 2004 at 12:54 PM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester
I do a TON of mountain biking in Texas and have always wanted to have my tunes with me. Pardon my lack of knowledge, but who makes the MX500s? And do they wrap around your ear to help keep them in place?

Sennheiser makes the MX500. However an improved version called the MX550 have just been released.

See below link:

http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/pr-hph-portables.html

Hope this helps!

Jul 6, 2004 at 1:14 PM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsung
Sennheiser makes the MX500. However an improved version called the MX550 have just been released.

See below link:

http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/pr-hph-portables.html

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the link! I currently have a pair of Sony MDR-EX70SL, which look like they are similar to the MX550s. Do you know what the difference is between the two?

Jul 6, 2004 at 11:14 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
I wouldn't wear any earbuds while cycling, it's too dangerous.

I tend to leave the left ear out in busier traffic conditions, but on an open road i never felt like it was a big risk. The one time I was hit by a car, it pulled out in front of me, and not wearing headphones wouldn't have made a difference. Listening to Metallica while lying on the ground, trying to establish that all my limbs were still attached was a strange experience. Somehow it didn't occur to me to take off the headphones...
I rode with a crappy set of earbuds i had lieing around today, and the wind noise was much better. I'll have a feeling there'll be a set of MX500's in my life in the next couple weeks.

Jul 6, 2004 at 11:39 PM Post #10 of 31
if you keep the music at a minimum i do not see your life in jeopardy

Jul 7, 2004 at 12:02 AM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
I wouldn't wear any earbuds while cycling, it's too dangerous.

I would agree with regards to riding on the road, but mountain biking is a bit different. It is nice to have tunes while out on a trail. The ones that I ride here in Texas are all one way trails, so aside from the occasional passing of riders not much else happens. Except of course the fallen log, river crossing, stick in the eye, etc. taking place.
eggosmile.gif

And as chiefroastbeef mentioned, you can listen at lower levels. This makes it easy to hear what is going on around you.

Jul 7, 2004 at 3:55 AM Post #13 of 31
I use earbuds, for biking and jogging, which allow enough outside noise to be aware of cars etc... at mid-low levels. Main problem with them though is sweating, now that summer is underway, been hearing some crackling. Plus the earbuds do fall out periodically.

The b&o a8 look like they would stay on quite well, but any comments on the sweat impact? Anywork arounds, covers etc..?

I am not so concerned about cost, more want functionality and quality. Was considering the higher-end IEMs but for safety reasons just not practical. Even for jogging need to be able to hear a little outside sound.

Having tunes while on the move is an incredible sensation. Audio plus endorphins. I need to do some research on good portable rigs. Semi water resistant durable stuff but good sound.

Jul 7, 2004 at 1:16 PM Post #14 of 31
like i've said, the A8 are the best for the money,

i've tried all the earbuds listed and they do not work for me, that's only from moving around, and if sweat kicks in... superglue won't make them stay

the a8s will stay no matter what, unless you yank them real hard accidentally(maybe to smack a fly or something)

they are more expensive, but they are guaranteed to stay on ears, and you'll be able to hear outside noises

Jul 7, 2004 at 1:55 PM Post #15 of 31
Since a bicycle is usually defined as a "vehicle", the vehicle safety laws of your state usually apply.
According to the California DMV site, "wearing headphones or earplugs (illegal in California and most states)" is a major distraction (as many people have noted above).

I also know someone who was fined somethingn around 60 dollars for wearing earbuds and biking. So keep that in mind when you consider your purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back