Headphones for cycling (no 100% isolation)
Aug 24, 2015 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Yukicore

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone.

I am wondering if anyone could help me find headphones with above average sound performance, that do not isolate sound from outside, reasons being safety while cycling,
also maybe there are some kind of ear-tips that would provide this feature, maybe?

So far I am considering maybe buying Apple EarPods, since they seem to serve this purpose, are quite cheap, since I will be using these only when cycling. But I am not sure about this. I would really like someone to help me with this.

Thanks, in advance.

Aug 24, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #3 of 11
I'd recommend these...http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Active-In-Ear-Headset-Sapphire/dp/B0118DWJQA for $23 shipped, unless you have pretty big ears. The ears pieces are great but even the large isn't very big and if so the bass may lessen with too loose a fit. if you have average ears then you are good. The caps with the arms are quite secure and good for active stuff like biking. Sound quite good and are good for me for wind noise like you may get riding. Comfy as well. Above the earpods in sound but not amazing but good for $23 shipped and meet the "above average" criteria. Worth a look-see anyhow.

Aug 24, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #4 of 11
If you want something cheap without isolation that will stay on your ears, I suggest the JVC HA-EB75 earphones with adjustable rubber ear hooks. It is only $8 on Amazon. It has a nice sounding midrange and highs. As for the bass, when I boost the bass by 8db using my player's equilizer, the bass is good enough for me for casual listening while active. Some people with very small ears(mostly some women) complained that even at the smallest setting, the rubber ear hooks are too large. 

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAEB75B-Sports-Headphone-Black/dp/B003AIL2HE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440460964&sr=8-1&keywords=HA-EB75

Aug 25, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #5 of 11
  Hello everyone.

I am wondering if anyone could help me find headphones with above average sound performance, that do not isolate sound from outside, reasons being safety while cycling,
also maybe there are some kind of ear-tips that would provide this feature, maybe?

So far I am considering maybe buying Apple EarPods, since they seem to serve this purpose, are quite cheap, since I will be using these only when cycling. But I am not sure about this. I would really like someone to help me with this.

Thanks, in advance.

Phonak PFE012/112 if you can still find one. I've used them for a long time when biking.

Or Hyperion with foam tips. 
wink.gif

Aug 25, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #6 of 11
Thanks everybody for the help, helped me discover many different options

Quote:
  I'd recommend these...http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Active-In-Ear-Headset-Sapphire/dp/B0118DWJQA for $23 shipped, unless you have pretty big ears. The ears pieces are great but even the large isn't very big and if so the bass may lessen with too loose a fit. if you have average ears then you are good. The caps with the arms are quite secure and good for active stuff like biking. Sound quite good and are good for me for wind noise like you may get riding. Comfy as well. Above the earpods in sound but not amazing but good for $23 shipped and meet the "above average" criteria. Worth a look-see anyhow.

I've noticed that you have used ATH-Sport2. What can you tell me about those?

Aug 25, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #7 of 11
The Sport2 do come with special tips to hear outside sounds but even with a good seal with the regular tips I found mine quite bright and not much bass. May be better to go with the Sport 3 over the 2 for that reason plus they are over the ear. I do like mine with a good seal and some EQ but they just aren't for everyone esp. w/o EQ or tweaking them some. Clarity and detail are pretty high but you need to like bright :)

Aug 26, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #8 of 11
I would suggest Koss KSC75 . They have excellent sound with almost no isolation. I just wish they made them with a microphone and buttons for phones. If you need to use it for phone calls, there are corded and bluetooth adapters available.

Aug 26, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #9 of 11
  I would suggest Koss KSC75 . They have excellent sound with almost no isolation. I just wish they made them with a microphone and buttons for phones. If you need to use it for phone calls, there are corded and bluetooth adapters available.

KSC75 is good, except that the earpads tend to soak up sweat. I prefer the fit of the JVC HA-EB75, and also prefer its sound when the bass on my player is boosted by around 8 to 10 DB.There is a version of the HA-EB75 with a mic and remote, the HA-EBR80. 

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAEBR80B-Sports-Quality-Headphones/dp/B0078JFQ0K/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1440610412&sr=1-1&keywords=HA-EBR80

Aug 26, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #10 of 11
  KSC75 is good, except that the earpads tend to soak up sweat. I prefer the fit of the JVC HA-EB75, and also prefer its sound when the bass on my player is boosted by around 8 to 10 DB.There is a version of the HA-EB75 with a mic and remote, the HA-EBR80. 

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAEBR80B-Sports-Quality-Headphones/dp/B0078JFQ0K/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1440610412&sr=1-1&keywords=HA-EBR80

Do the JVC's have the same bass response as the Koss? Many people say the KSC75's lack bass a little because they aren't held tight against the ear by a headband. I also wonder if they could be used with foam covers if you're not exercising. I have some older style Apple Earpods that aren't bad if they would stay in. Foam covers help. I also notice the JVC's are like most other headphones with a mic. They either give you one button which is universal or 3 buttons for i-Things. There are very few 3 button remote headsets for android.

Aug 26, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #11 of 11

Do the JVC's have the same bass response as the Koss? Many people say the KSC75's lack bass a little because they aren't held tight against the ear by a headband. I also wonder if they could be used with foam covers if you're not exercising. I have some older style Apple Earpods that aren't bad if they would stay in. Foam covers help. I also notice the JVC's are like most other headphones with a mic. They either give you one button which is universal or 3 buttons for i-Things. There are very few 3 button remote headsets for android.

No. The JVC HA-EB75 is bright sounding and light on bass, which is why I boost the bass with my player's equilizer. The KSC75 seems to have the upper bass boosted and sounds too warm to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back