Headphones for Cowon D2
May 19, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #16 of 28
I would've recommended the Futuresonics Atrio M5/M8, but they no longer accept $140 for the IEMs, and instead charging $160 (still VERY worth it, and only $10 over your budget).

May 19, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #17 of 28
As I've said many times in many other threads, the Atrio is a superb match for Cowon players. Completely worth the little extra $$$.

May 19, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #18 of 28
Hey robojack(and anyone else as well), i'm on the same boat as the OP but without a D2. Will the Future Sonics Atrio M5/8 reveal my DAP's mediocre sound quality? (Sandisk Sansa E250)

May 19, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #19 of 28
I'm a pretty big fan of Shure IEMs and the D2, I'd recommend the E4Cs if you can get them

May 19, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #20 of 28
People are still recommending IEMs/Canalphones when that's not what this person needs. For good quality open phones, Grado has some good choices, the SR60's are a well priced, good quality option.

May 19, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mdn2003nNY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No Amp, straight from the D2. Using it at work so need open ear to hear telephone intercom, but even though I'm a newbie here I'm a musician and want to hear quality sound!
Thanks in advance for any help I can get!

Clearly the OP needs open headphones that are easy to drive unless someone actually knows of "open earred" IEMs
biggrin.gif

The easiest open headphones to drive will be the Grado/Alessandro lineup. They will deliver wonderful sound quality that your ears will appreciate. The SR60 is a true bargain at about $60. There is a nice bargain right now in the for sale forum on a used pair of Grado SR225s. This headphone is regarded by many as the sweet spot in the Grado lineup and a used pair is in your budget. Send a private message to inquire.

May 20, 2008 at 7:12 AM Post #22 of 28
^I'm in a similar dilemma and would just add a question to the thread instead of making a new one. I'm considering Alessandro MS-1 *or* a well-priced SR-225 to kill my upgraditis for a while (thankfully my E4Cs did that for the IEM department), but have concerns about the synergy between the D2 and these phones.

Apparently the 225 has a notably good bottom-end, and what I'm looking for is a hellaciously better KSC75. While I do wish the later grado models were higher than 32 ohms, they seem like the perfect match for me as my former choice (the ad700s by audio technica) seem too huge and lacking in dynamism. I forgot what player you had seeing you on the iaudiophile forums, though =\

May 20, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #23 of 28
Wow, I forgot to mention that I have and use the D2. I'll be glad when I can work fewer hours
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll be taking the D2 and SR225s with me when I go camping this weekend, unamped. Just for kicks I plugged them in this a.m. and listened to Trans Siberian Orchestra's rendition of Beethovens Last Night (hope I got the title correct). Happens to be on the D2 and is nice because the music ranges from heavy bass to female vocals. Sweet! Deep, not boomy bass. I mean, the bass has depth. You would expect good midrange and they deliver admirably. Treble rolled off a little but was more than acceptable.

4ki, no comparison with the KSC75. The SR225s are in a class by themselves. They have been and continue to be one of my favorites. Been neglected lately while I've been trying the 580s to see if they fit in for what I want.

I follow my own advice...I purchased the 225s used. Glad I did. The bowls were already softened up from use (thanks Brian). I find them comfortable, but YMMV.

May 20, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #24 of 28
Haha...yeah, your setup for the home phones are each models that are constantly compared to each other (albeit radically different in respects). I also considered 580s, but some people suggest both the grados and the senns to give a well-rounded pair for all music genres. I just love the build of grado phones; simple and durable.

It's a big pinch for me as even used they can be twice the cost of MS-1s which have a similar sound (maybe less bass). The headroom frequency graphs put the grado's response in a very similar line to the ksc75s, so the refinement would be nothing short of amazing. My other issue is amping; 225s are said to sound just Godly, but the D2's clinched in this area. In any case, I'll be waiting for deals to come and go; if I can't find a good 225 deal in a week, I'll just order some alessandros used/new.

Until I get a better source/amp combo, I don't think I can justify getting an awesome phone like the SR225s.

May 2, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #25 of 28
May I resurrect this ancient topic? I'm new here and I don't dare to create another thread.

Hardware: Cowon D2, no external AMP, KOSS Porta Pro
Output: Hip-hop, electronica, dubstep (bassy music).

I need new headphones, that much is clear. Porta Pro's were enough for my old Sansa Clip+, but it is more than apparent they are a huge bottleneck for the D2. Could you help me find a good alternative with clear sound definition and diarrhea-inducing bass. I'm not planning on buying an external amplifier, since I hear Cowon D2 has a pretty good internal piece. As for the price I am willing to invest in headphones, let Ultrasone PRO 900 be the price ceiling. I've also heard Sony XB1000 are great, but please, feel free to suggest.

May 2, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #26 of 28
i hope that someone knowledgeable responds to this question, as I am in EXACTLY the same boat.
got a set of iem brainwavz beta for 18.50 (yeah, SALE!!!) and - after a couple weeks of waiting for them to loosen up - can absolutely say that i have outgrown the portapros.
sad, as i have been in love with these things for years.
they are just so easy to use, fun, and lifestyle-friendly ( i can lift in them, run sprints in them, walk the dog in them... the works ).
i like the ksc75s for exercise too, as this is how i am mostly using headphones unless it is to listen to newscasts or audiobooks.
anyways, i would like to find a similarly lifestyle friendly and application flexible yet better performing headphone for use with a D2 and/or J3.

May 3, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #27 of 28
Well, I've been asking some other places too, so for now it seems, that the hottest candidate is Sennheiser HD25-1 II. It has superb sound quality and build sturdiness, but some reviews tend to hate its comfort. Still, it seems like a hot candidate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back