Headphones for competitive gaming/music under $200
May 20, 2012 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Progaine

New Head-Fier
Hey.
So, I've been lurking around the forums and the rest of the web for the best headphones that I can buy for gaming and music. I mainly enjoy listening to Hip Hop, Rap, R&B, Soft Rock, and will on occasion listen to other genres.
I will be using the headphones on a computer with onboard audio and on an iPod Touch.

Comfort is as important to me as is sound quality.

I've narrowed down the list of potential headphones that I might purchase, but there are many conflicting opinions on which one is superior.

-Beyerdynamic dt770/80 pro : Many mixed views. Some say they can be powered without an amp and others say the contrary.

-Denon dn hp700: I've heard some good things about them but the number of reviews are lacking on the internet. They seem rather uncomfortable and I'm not sure if its soundstage is ample enough for competitive fps.

-Sennheiser HD 555/558 : Don't really know much about them, but I've seen that they are recommended quite often.

I'm also open to other suggestions.

I can in theory spend up to 200 but I'd like the keep that number closer to 170.

Thanks in advance for any help that I can get.

As a side note, I currently have the Pioneer SE-M390.

Edit: I forgot to mention that it's highly preferable that I get closed headphones. I'd also like it if the headphones don't have have weak bass.

May 20, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #2 of 7
Samson SR850 (Made by Superlux) semi-open headphone
Asus Xonar DG or DGX sound card, half-way decent headphone amplifier and comes with Dolby Digital 5.1 (Dolby Virtual Headphone).
Total under $100

May 22, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
Thanks for your input, but I forgot to mention that it's highly preferable that I get closed headphones, unless the Samson SR850 doesn't leak very much.

The SR850s are semi-open headphones, so they do leak somewhat.

May 22, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
Hey.
So, I've been lurking around the forums and the rest of the web for the best headphones that I can buy for gaming and music. I mainly enjoy listening to Hip Hop, Rap, R&B, Soft Rock, and will on occasion listen to other genres.
I will be using the headphones on a computer with onboard audio and on an iPod Touch.
Comfort is as important to me as is sound quality.
I've narrowed down the list of potential headphones that I might purchase, but there are many conflicting opinions on which one is superior.
-Beyerdynamic dt770/80 pro : Many mixed views. Some say they can be powered without an amp and others say the contrary.
-Denon dn hp700: I've heard some good things about them but the number of reviews are lacking on the internet. They seem rather uncomfortable and I'm not sure if its soundstage is ample enough for competitive fps.
-Sennheiser HD 555/558 : Don't really know much about them, but I've seen that they are recommended quite often.
I'm also open to other suggestions.
I can in theory spend up to 200 but I'd like the keep that number closer to 170.
Thanks in advance for any help that I can get.
As a side note, I currently have the Pioneer SE-M390.
Edit: I forgot to mention that it's highly preferable that I get closed headphones. I'd also like it if the headphones don't have have weak bass.

The Asus Xonar DG (PCI $30) will improve the sound of any headphone plugged into it, over the on-board sound on your PC.
The Senn HD555/558 are open headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back