Headphones for classical music
Nov 11, 2003 at 1:06 AM Post #17 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by gdahl
I'd love to hear the AKG K1000, but I have never had the chance. I don't think they would be practical for me to own, though, because I really need some amount of isolation. I started with open-air Beyers, but the residual noise irritated my wife sometimes. Next I tried Etys, which bothered her because I couldn't hear her, making her feel shut out. The A-T's have been about right...I might have hoped for a bit more isolation from ambient noise, but at least I don't annoy anyone when I'm listening. And unlike the situation with the Etys, my wife can easily see that I'm wearing headphones, so she can tell when she has to get my attention visually.

Regardless of the isolation "issue", did you think the Etys were as good as, better or worse than the ATH-W1000?

Thanks
580smile.gif

Nov 11, 2003 at 1:42 AM Post #18 of 39
For listening to classical music the HD600 and Stax are good alternatives. I have Grado RS-1 and like it but I don't regard it as the best alternative for classical music as it adds some coloration to the timbre and has a rather narrow soundstage. It's fast and punchy in a way that gives an exciting presentation of rock. I don't say you cannot use it for classical, but it is not the strong side of this headphone.

K1000 is a good alternative considering sound but is rather impractical. When you listen others will hear as much as you do. It needs an amplifier and seems to be picky regarding amplifier combination and a tube amp is usually the best option. And it needs more power than most headphone amps have.

I think the new Sennheiser HD650 would be the best alternative. It is superior to HD600 in many aspects and a more allround headphone than HD600. It costs more but not more than the RS-2.

If you are going for Stax, also consider the Classic system that seems to be clearly better than the Basic. It is not as expensive at it seems because you also get a headphone amplifier, that however only can be used for Stax (naah, you get an amp with the Basic system also).
I don't know anything about the quality of the headphone output on your CDP but it is quite possible that you also need a seperate headphone amplifier for optimal sound quality.

Nov 11, 2003 at 3:23 AM Post #19 of 39
The HD600 is awesome and it gets better with an upgraded cable such as the cardas, equinox, moon, or zu cable (I have only heard the cardas). The HD600s sound good on modest equipment, great on entry-level audiophile stuff, and just unbelievably insanely good on a top-notch setup.

Put the 600s in a vinyl rig and it's just awesome, although I still like its performance on digital equipment.

Cheers,
Geek

Nov 11, 2003 at 3:55 AM Post #20 of 39
I think the recording makes a big difference. On bass heavy recordings, I like the Grados to dig out the midrange detail; on recordings with big stereo separations, the K-1000 sound most natural, on older recordings with tinny highs, the HD-600 help smooth them out, etc..
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2003 at 5:05 AM Post #22 of 39
For me, Grados are just the ticket for classical music. Started out with the SR80s, upgrado'd to the 225s, and now have broken in my RS-1s. Have not heard the RS-2s, but the RS-1s sound sweet. Check them out.

Nov 11, 2003 at 5:56 AM Post #23 of 39
Out of the choices you offered, I'd vote for the Stax. I don't like electrostatics myself, but they are pretty magical with bringing out the richness & detail of classical music.

I personally prefer AKG K-501 for orchestral music. They portray complex passages with such a rich texture that it becomes much more easy to discern polyphonics between different sections/instruments. No other cans at any price that I've heard do this quite so well. People tell me the K-1000s also have this ability, but I have not heard them yet.

--Chris

Nov 11, 2003 at 3:32 PM Post #25 of 39
Stax. Can't comment.

My shortlist from the headphones I've owned (when properly amplified respectively) would be:
Sennheiser HD600 for all purpose classical. Compromises abound but probably the safest choice, especially with the Cardas cable.
Audio-Technica ATH-W1000 for early / chamber music... A brilliant match and considerably better than the HD600 for this.
Sony MDR-CD3000 for large orchestral and operatic works. Similarly superior to the HD600 for this type of music.

So my total recommendation would be a tube amp which drives low impedance phones properly plus a W1000 and a CD3000
biggrin.gif

Unamped or straight out of a phone jack:
Audio-Technica ATH-A900. Very good all rounder which works from anything. Will render most classical music with reasonable conviction.

Nov 11, 2003 at 4:31 PM Post #26 of 39
I own 2 senns: hd500, hd580 , and 2 grados: sr225, rs-1. And out of the 4 I like my rs-1/ra-1 combo prob the most for classical and then I would go with my sr225 /ra-1 combo. The Grado's have so much detail and I feel they really show there true potential with classical and jazz. The grado's are knowen for being bright and good for rock but I enjoy mine with classical/jazz more then I do with rock.

The senn's imo are to far away from the stage. When I listen to headphones I want to feel like im there and the grado's really do that well.

If you don't have the money for the rs-1/ra-1 combo I would go with either a sr225 or a rs2. The rs-2's sound alot like the sr-325's. But there are differances. The Rs-2 have more of a "rich smooth sound" , and like the 325's are engulfed with detail but unlike the 325's they aren't as overwhelming making them ideal for classical /jazz . Where the 325's have a "stronger brighter louder sound" which has been well classified to be perfect for rock.

The only down side to getting the rs-2's is that you will start to think about how much better the rs-1's are and end up blowing all your money and getting them. But maybe that's the good side
very_evil_smiley.gif

Good luck on your search for the pefect headphones
- Kyle
rs1smile.gif

100post-

Nov 11, 2003 at 7:18 PM Post #28 of 39
I preffer HD650 and HD600 for classical. I have no experience with the stax system mentioned in the original post. I did not like any of the grados ive heard (SR-60 through SR-325) with classical.

Nov 18, 2003 at 7:55 PM Post #30 of 39
Here's my favorite classical set-up....

--AKG K-1000 ear speakers.
--Audio Valve RKV headphone amp with Telefunken tubes.
--Heart 6000 OSE-LE CD Player with Siemens tubes.

It's an all tube system that tames the slightly metallic sound of the K1000s. The sound? It sounds fantastic with those high-quality German tubes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back