Headphones for classical music and other genre
Feb 25, 2019 at 12:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Lucagfc

New Head-Fier
Hi

I'm searching for a pair of headphones that sounds great with classical music and pop, rock music. Right now I don't have an amplifier or a dedicated DAC but I plan to connect this headphones directly to my iMac.

These headphones will be my first decent pair of headphones (right now I have Beats Solo 3 Wireless, AirPods and a Koss KSC-75) so is difficult to me to specify my listening taste. The only thing I can say is that i like crystal clear treble and I don't like headphones that has emphasized bass.

My budget is about 200$. Thank you!

Feb 25, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #2 of 9
Sennheiser HD58X from massdrop.com sounds like the best fit for you based on the criteria that you listed. I would recommend the HD6XX due to more clarity in the highs, but you will need an amp to power those properly. Another option will be the Beyerdynamic DT880 with lower impedance to ensure you can power it from your iMac properly.

Feb 26, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #3 of 9
Unfortunately I can't buy from massdrop. I'm in Europe and VAT and other importation taxes will increase the price. So i need to use a local store (basically Amazon). The HD58X that you suggest are comparable to this?

How they perform in comparison with DT880 (rohm version of course)?

Another question. If I increase a bit the budget and rise it up to 300$ is possible to buy a decent amp + headphones combo? Thank for tour reply!

Feb 26, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #4 of 9
@Lucagfc your best bet is definitely DT880 / 32. HD6xx are to pricey these days. AKG K7xx can't be driven out of Mac.

Between HD58X and DT880, I would take Beyers any time especially at today's prices. Your Mac won't be near full potential, although if you decide to invest further you are still fine with 32Ohms.

I listen to classical only and ten years ago I had HD600, DT880 & AKG K702 simultaneously. Prefered AKG by a small margin but all are there somewhere with their pros and cons..

Feb 26, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for your reply. Looking at Beyers lineup and I saw that DT880 and DT990 are about the same price. Why do you think that the DT880 are better for my taste? I saw that the 990 are open back and the DT880 are semi-open. I'm a bit confused about this two model. Thanks!

Feb 26, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for your reply. Looking at Beyers lineup and I saw that DT880 and DT990 are about the same price. Why do you think that the DT880 are better for my taste? I saw that the 990 are open back and the DT880 are semi-open. I'm a bit confused about this two model. Thanks!

DT880 have somewhat more neutral balance. They are true all rounders. DT990 on the other hand have perhaps to much bass, not entirely controlled. I had only brief listen long time ago hence I'm not fully competent to tell.

Mar 27, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #9 of 9
There's all kinds of upgrade units to pair with your DT880. It will depend on your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back