Headphones for christmas
Nov 12, 2005 at 11:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

foges

Head-Fier
I hope this hasnt been posted too often. I love music and have multiple different headphones. my ipod broke but im getting a cowon X5L. Now i want some headphones that will give me great sound quality. I was thinking about the grado rs-80/60. How do they compare? If there are other headphones that i whould also be looking for please tell me.

Thanx a lot
biggrin.gif

Nov 12, 2005 at 1:30 PM Post #2 of 14
both headphones are open phones. they dont have noice cancelling. if you like the grado sound, they are pretty cool.

if you want that open cans, try the koss porta pro or sennheieser px 100.

if you want noice cancelling try the p 27, p28 from akg, the px 200/250 from sennheiser...or try in ears.

if you want to go arround, they are imho much better than those big full size phones. they sound pretty good. try to type the word "shure", "etymotik" or "ultimate ears" in ebay.

Nov 12, 2005 at 5:33 PM Post #3 of 14
The Grado´s are in reality small speakers that have been turned outwards, therefore they aren´t that suited as portable cans (but if you get them, don´t forget the sennheiser 414 pads, they make them a lot more comfy).
As portable cans I really like my koss ksc 75, they sound good and they are cheap. They are also much better suited for biking, driving and so on than in-ears.

Nov 12, 2005 at 5:49 PM Post #4 of 14
If you like using your portable player on the go you should get In Ear Monitors(IEM). They are great for mobile use, for they are small, light weight, and block out surrounding noise.

To start out I would suggest:

Shure E2c

Shure E3c

Etymotic ER6i/ER6

Westone UM1

These options are the lower end model IEMs. If you want to spend over $200 then look at these IEMs:

Westone UM2

Shure E5c

Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 pro

Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5EB

There are more options out there, but these seem to be really popular.

Nov 12, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by foges
I hope this hasnt been posted too often. I love music and have multiple different headphones. my ipod broke but im getting a cowon X5L. Now i want some headphones that will give me great sound quality. I was thinking about the grado rs-80/60. How do they compare? If there are other headphones that i whould also be looking for please tell me.

Thanx a lot
biggrin.gif

Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet. Some more info would be helpful:

-Do they have to be portable?
-Do you want open or closed phones?
-Budget?
-What kinds of music do you listen to?
-Do you have (or plan to get) an amp?

I have the SR-80 and I love it, but if I were a first-time Grado buyer now, I would either go with the SR-60 or the Alessandro MS-1.

Nov 12, 2005 at 10:52 PM Post #7 of 14
Thanx for the great replies. To Highway61 i know about the issue and am considering getting the remote control or an extension if the cable becomes an issue.

I now see that grados probably are not the thing for me. I wasnt actually looking IEM's, because of comfort, but is there a benefit from them?

I live in europe and unfortunatelly dont seem to have all the recomended suggested products avaliable. My budget is probably around 90 $ (dont have a deffinate number due to price differences from the us and here).

the E2c, ksc 75, porta pro & sennheiser 100/200/250 are avaliabe here and fit my budget (i can go a bit over), what do the rest of you think about these?

I mostly listen to different types of rock, a bit of pop, not a lot of too heavy music.

thnx

Nov 12, 2005 at 11:14 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lsportline43
If you like using your portable player on the go you should get In Ear Monitors(IEM). They are great for mobile use, for they are small, light weight, and block out surrounding noise.

To start out I would suggest:

Shure E2c

Shure E3c

Etymotic ER6i/ER6

Westone UM1

These options are the lower end model IEMs. If you want to spend over $200 then look at these IEMs:

Westone UM2

Shure E5c

Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 pro

Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5EB

There are more options out there, but these seem to be really popular.

Shure e4c is $200 (can be found less) and are very very popular too.

Nov 12, 2005 at 11:21 PM Post #9 of 14
grado sr60.s. very pisssed but stilll recomend them. Awesome cans !!!!!!!!!!!

BOOM BOOM BABY

Nov 13, 2005 at 10:41 AM Post #10 of 14
Ok, so you are suggesting in ear ones, I already have the SENNHEISER HD 212 PRO with a broken cable though, but that can be fixed.

the only in ear ones that fit my budget are the SHURE E2c.

Nov 13, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #12 of 14
i just realised that the E3c are within my price range as well. how do they compare?

Nov 14, 2005 at 5:08 PM Post #14 of 14
im not quite sure i want used headphones. but ill probably get some new shure's. is there a big gain in choosing the E3c instead of the E2c?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back