Headphones for Chord Mojo
Dec 7, 2020 at 9:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

gerlando

New Head-Fier
Hello there,
I’m looking for a new headphones for my Chord Mojo.
I already have a Sennheiser HD 650 and a Philips Fidelio X2HR.
I would like to try a pair of magnetic planar headphones.
So, what do you think is the best match among Audeze LCD-1, EL-8 and HiFiMAN HE400i, Sundara?
I’m looking for a deep and wide soundstage, clean and fast basses and smooth highs, and if possible something more dynamic than my HD650.
Thank you very much.

Dec 7, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #2 of 10
Mojo has deep but doesn't have wide soundstaging. Micro is good but lacks Macro. Highs are not extended but is decent and can be said as neutral. There is some mid bass bump so is warm sounding. So you can use these parameters to narrow down the headphone search.

Or keep HD650 and get a good Amp and use Mojo as DAC. Try to get hold of DROP ZDT Jr. And enjoy 3d soundstage and smooth sound or get Lyr3 but may be little dark with HD650.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #3 of 10
Mojo has deep but doesn't have wide soundstaging. Micro is good but lacks Macro. Highs are not extended but is decent and can be said as neutral. There is some mid bass bump so is warm sounding. So you can use these parameters to narrow down the headphone search.

Or keep HD650 and get a good Amp and use Mojo as DAC. Try to get hold of DROP ZDT Jr. And enjoy 3d soundstage and smooth sound or get Lyr3 but may be little dark with HD650.
How could you use Mojo as Dac when it only has analogue outputs?

Dec 7, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #4 of 10
How could you use Mojo as Dac when it only has analogue outputs?
Mojo only has digital input. It's a DAC only and not a standalone amplifier.

Dec 7, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #5 of 10
You can set the Mojo to line mode to feed an amp with. :wink:
You connect Mojo with a 3.5 to rca cable to an amp.

Btw.
Mojo isn't just a dac, it's a portable, battery powered dac/amp. :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #6 of 10
Yes, my point was it's not a standalone amp and only has digital input and can be used as a DAC with an amp to have better synergy with 650

Dec 7, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #7 of 10
Yes, my point was it's not a standalone amp and only has digital input and can be used as a DAC with an amp to have better synergy with 650

I'm already using the HD650 in this way.

I'm only curious to try a planar magnetic headphones.

Since my budget is below £300, I'm wondering which can be the best choice and the best match with the Mojo without using the external amp.

Jan 21, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #8 of 10
I have the HE400i's and a Mojo. I also have the HD650's and Fostex TH900 mkii. Personally I prefer the Fostex over all of them (probably not surprising as it's 3x the price), second the 650's, then the HE400i. Not that the 400's are bad phones, they're actually very good. Just not really my type of sound....the Fostex and 650's are more intimate and sound "closer", while the 400's are more distant. But they're very clear and resolving...and a ton of value given their price point.

Jan 22, 2021 at 4:29 AM Post #9 of 10
I have the Mojo, a Hugo 2 and was recently searching for a pair of headphones with good soundstage at a reasonable price.
Tried the HD-660, Sundara, Austrian Audio Hi-X55, Arya, HD-800S, Meze Empyrean, Focal Clear and Utopia and some others.
My reference were the Sony IER-M9 IEMs which have excellent imaging and a very good soundstage for IEMs.

The Sundara was my favorite in the segment below $500.
They had a significantly more open soundstage compared to the HD-660 and had a very good tonality for the price.
At the US price the Sundara is really attractive IMO.

Mar 14, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #10 of 10
Not sure if it's best to reply to this old thread or start a new one so here goes;

I have a Chord Mojo (1) which I just had repaired. I use it with a very old AKG-K701 set of headphones. I find the sound very underwhelming. I don't see it as any real improvement over having the headphones plugged directly into my OnePlus Nord CE2 which is a very mediocre phone.

Where I live in Ireland, there are very few hifi shops within a few hours drive and very few in the country anyway. How do I go about finding a set of headphones that are much better? I don't really want to buy a set and then find out they aren't much of an upgrade. People on here seem to own multiples cans which I am also not interested in.

I like fast, dynamic and soundstage. I'd like to spend around €500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back