Headphones for casual listening, strong bass and high end, overall clarity
Jan 14, 2011 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Introvariable

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a pair of in-ear headphones (canalphones, IEMs, whatever they may be) that will give me a strong bass punch that's still pretty tight, and an overall clarity based a bit more in the high end rather than the midrange. I'm not using these for any sort of recording or mixing so a flat frequency response isn't exactly crucial for me. I do like my Sennheiser CX-400s quite a bit but I feel that even after being burned in they're a touch strong in the midrange and instead of sounding warm it occasionally makes the music sound muddy.

I do like Bose's speakers for listening because I enjoy the strong bass and high end that they preserve, but their equipment is horribly overpriced and I've never liked the way their in-ears fit at all, no security and the lack of a fit made it pointless to even try and listen to music in them anyways.

Any suggestions for a relative newbie? Thanks in advance. :)

Jan 15, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #2 of 14
A friend of mine just recommended me these because they're cheap and he thought it might be what I'm looking for but I know next to nothing about them:

http://www.amazon.com/j-JAYS-Dynamic-Driver-Earphones-White/dp/B0016ZBF16

I'd imagine I'd like my CX-400s better and I'd like another step up...

Jan 15, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #3 of 14
Ugh. j-JAYS are terrible.. absolutely terrible. They were replaced with the a-JAYS in Europe but we always get these things late over here. I don't know what your price range is like but from what you described it sounds like you'd enjoy the ECCI PR401.

Jan 15, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 14
I'll be sure to look into those. Would finding a refurbished/used pair of Sennheiser IE 7s be worth it? I've heard wonderful things about both those and the IE 8s and I'd love a wide soundstage that I know Sennheiser generally delivers on... I've been told I should be able to find a pair used or refurbished in the $100~ish range.

Where's a good retailer to find the ECCIs?

Jan 15, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
I'll be sure to look into those. Would finding a refurbished/used pair of Sennheiser IE 7s be worth it? I've heard wonderful things about both those and the IE 8s and I'd love a wide soundstage that I know Sennheiser generally delivers on... I've been told I should be able to find a pair used or refurbished in the $100~ish range.

The IE7 is nice but it's sound signature is not what you're describing in your first post. It's sort of a do-no-wrong sound that's not really fun or exciting. Check out rawrster's review if you want to know more.

ECCI can be had from lendmeurears.com (comes with extra tips that way) or ebay. It's around $75.

Jan 15, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
Quote:

The IE7 is nice but it's sound signature is not what you're describing in your first post. It's sort of a do-no-wrong sound that's not really fun or exciting. Check out rawrster's review if you want to know more.

ECCI can be had from lendmeurears.com (comes with extra tips that way) or ebay. It's around $75.

That site claims the sound signature of the ECCIs is mid-centric as well...

Jan 15, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
I didn't read the description and frankly think it's misleading. I hear them the way ClieOS does. His review is here.

75 bucks sounds like a good deal for that indeed. Thank you kindly...

A (more audio educated and fellow head-fier) friend also just recommended the triple fi 10s to me. How do those and these ECCIs compare in general sound, and value wise? I'm not sure how good a price I can find on those aside from eBay.

Jan 15, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
A (more audio educated and fellow head-fier) friend also just recommended the triple fi 10s to me. How do those and these ECCIs compare in general sound, and value wise? I'm not sure how good a price I can find on those aside from eBay.

Not really a fair comparison as one is a very competitive ~$75 earphone and the other is still very competitive at ~$150. In the overall scheme of things I think the ECCI could be called the dynamic-driver cousin of the TF10 - both are spacious, punchy, and sparkly - the TF10 is just more detailed and refined. PR401 is slightly more impactful but the difference is small. PR401 is also much smaller physically if that's a concern.

Jan 16, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #12 of 14

Quote:

Quote:

Not really a fair comparison as one is a very competitive ~$75 earphone and the other is still very competitive at ~$150. In the overall scheme of things I think the ECCI could be called the dynamic-driver cousin of the TF10 - both are spacious, punchy, and sparkly - the TF10 is just more detailed and refined. PR401 is slightly more impactful but the difference is small. PR401 is also much smaller physically if that's a concern.

I don't really have the money for the TF10s so I think I'm sold on the ECCIs. The question is when I'll order them...

Oh by the way, just as a note for anyone who might not have known, the sellers from lendmeurears.com have an eBay store where they sell the ECCIs for the same price with the same extra tips, so if you have an eBay account already that might be simpler. I figure anyone who would be looking for them would figure this out themselves, but just a thought...

Jan 16, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #13 of 14
Also look in the Denon 710's...

They give you a really nice strong bass + good mid/highs.
They are super comfortable to wear - light on the ears.

I've tried quite a few earphones, and nothing has come close to these baby's especially for their cheap price.

The 751's aren't bad either but not good on the mid front.

Look at my sig for the ones i've been through :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back