Headphones for both Aviation (Pilot) and Listening (SQ)
Jun 29, 2009 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

s4parke

New Head-Fier
I've recently become interested in general aviation, and have begun the path to get a private pilot certificate.

One of the first orders of business is getting a decent headset that's comfortable, durable, has good sound isolation from cockpit noise (either active or passive cancellation), good voice reproduction, and a good microphone.

However, it would also be nice if the headset could, when plugged into a music source, sound extremely good while doing all of the other things it needs to do.

I know that Beyer and Sennheiser make very high-end aviation headsets, and wondered if anyone could offer a comparison in sound reproduction for these units with some of their other products (Beyer DT770/80, Sennheiser HD600)?

Quote:

What will you be plugging these headphones into?

Likely the XLR input on the comm console, though I'm not familiar with all of the possible variations. Some dual-purpose aviation phones also have a 1/8" stereo plug from the looks of it, and a module that cuts the music when a communication comes in.

Quote:

What is your budget for buying headphones?

For a single-purpose set.. no more than $500. For something that could be used for two activities, probably more.

Quote:

Do you want headphones with a built in microphone, or will you be using a separate mic?

I hadn't thought about detaching the microphone, but it seems like it would be a useful feature if this was an option.

Jun 29, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 10
I am not familiar with the Beyer HS600 headset, but I do know that the DT190 is essentially a DT150 headphone with a microphone on it. You pay a lot for active noise canceling, maybe you really need it, you are the only one who can tell.

The DT150 is a brilliant headphone(and I'll risk fanboy status here), check some reviews and build your own opinion. Only issue with them as far I see it is comfort. Durability is nothing short of amazing.

maans

Jun 29, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 10
Welcome to both aviation and head-fi.

I have not heard the headsets you linked, but I do know as a commercial aviator, that the FAA approval process adds many dollars to the price of those headsets. I would guess (again I haven't heard those phones) that you'd be better off buying a moderate aviation phone, and a 2nd set for non flying use.

Bazile

Jun 29, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

...but I do know that the DT190 is essentially a DT150 headphone with a microphone on it.

Looks interesting! I'll have to crawl around to check out how the DT150 compares with other phones I've heard.

Thanks to all for the info!

Jun 29, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

...I have not heard the headsets you linked, but I do know as a commercial aviator, that the FAA approval process adds many dollars to the price of those headsets.

Interesting, I can't seem to find any information that says a pilot is required to use an FAA-approved headset, although such approval guidelines exist. Talking to more actual pilots familiar with the FAR '09-10 will probably be helpful. (Link to Google Answers)

If such is the case, a studio-quality broadcast headset (Like the DT190) with very good passive or active noise attenuation would be a possible fit, provided it did precisely everything that an aviation headphone is required to do so that people don't die.

Jun 29, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bazile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to both aviation and head-fi.
I have not heard the headsets you linked, but I do know as a commercial aviator, that the FAA approval process adds many dollars to the price of those headsets. I would guess (again I haven't heard those phones) that you'd be better off buying a moderate aviation phone, and a 2nd set for non flying use.

Agreed. As pointed out, the certifications add thousands of dollars to the cost of an item. When I did some XC flying, I used a cheap walmart GPS using POIs maintained on a site. I saved almost $200 vs. buying a Garmin dedicated unit. Granted it doesn't have nice features like airport data etc. but it gets the job done. It really helped when we did a super long XC from FL to NJ.

As far as the headsets, you're better off buying a mid-range aviation headset and the rest on a good headphone since your budget is almost $500. I used a Lightspeed headset after I lost my first Flightcomm(sp?) one, loved it. It was the XL series and had ANR, one of the best price-performance headsets imo. And yes, I did try the Bose one as well, very comfortable but @ I think almost $1k? overpriced just as their other stuff. Or you can find a used David Clarke one, I sold my gf's one on eBay a while back, I'm sure they pop up on there for reasonable prices. I highly recommend the Lightspeed XL though, at that price-point other manuf. only offer passive attentuation not ANR.

Edit: I just remembered too, I did plug in my headset into my receiver once. It was just okay; the sound was distant, tin-can like and obviously no bass. GA headsets are (I'm assuming) tuned to the higher frequency spectrum for voice clarity.

Anyways, in advance, good luck on your first solo
wink.gif
I had fun while I was learning. The industry should pick up its pace soon if you're planning to get into commercial aviation.

Jun 30, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #9 of 10
If you are flying a prop then you will need proper ear-defending headphones.

As you have discovered, the latest of these not only include ANR (active noise reduction), but also allow you to listen to music while you are flying.

Personally, I would not compromise on hearing protection - so I would choose the best aviation headset that gives both protection and comfort. If it is also great for music outside the aircraft that's a bonus, otherwise get another set for the home.

Jun 30, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #10 of 10
Like others have pointed out, your best bet is probably to get different sets for flying and music. For flying you really only care about two things: noise cancellation and vocal emphasis. By and large, these two concerns are opposed to quality music reproduction. For flying you want something that really cuts bass and high frequencies and just pumps the midrange, as this will help vocals cut through and be the most intelligible. For music you want a balanced sound, so you don't miss the bass lines, cymbals sound full, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back