Headphones for big grapes? My new K 702s are hurting my skull.
Feb 1, 2010 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

krugorg

New Head-Fier
I upgraded last week to the AKG K 702 headphone. Initial comfort on the 702 is good, but the clamp pressure on the sides starts to get irritating within 5 minutes. Will they stretch out over time, or is this a common issue with the AKGs and large-headed people? My hat size is 7 5/8, so on the ginormous end of the head size scale.

I picked these cans up specifically because of a recommendation based on head size. Should I be looking at another brand?

I think I would like the Sennheiser house sound (home electronics are BAT tube/SS hybrid), but I have steered cleared based on posts here regarding clamp pressure. Are there any cans in their lineup that are better suited for larger craniums? HD 600?

I talked with HeadRoom and they pointed me in the direction of Denon. Any fellow jugheads like these?

Thanks for any input!

Feb 1, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #2 of 23
The most typical comfort problem with the K701/2's is with the bumps on the headband rather than the clamping force, which is more or less average and tolerable with people with regular sized heads. I haven't noticed the clamping pressure getting any weaker or anything over the last year or so that I've owned them for... so I wouldn't really depend on that happening.

I'd stay well clear of Sennheisers like HD600/650, as even after the headband bend it would still be too tight for larger heads IMO (they clamp much more than the AKG's do). The Audio-Technica Air series is perfect for people with large heads (AD700, AD900, etc) so I'd say look into those.

Feb 1, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #3 of 23
I have larger than average head too, and I can tell you Audio technica's A700 are extremely comfortable for people with large heads. So maybe try the A/AD900?

Feb 1, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #5 of 23
I don't own the K70x's yet, but have the same hat size as you. I don't know if it's because I have a greater thresh hold for pain, but HD650's clamp on perfectly. I think they fit snugly. In fact I had a good nice 6 hour listening session last night.
I also tried the AD1000's yesterday and I felt they fit too loosely.

Feb 2, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #6 of 23
I have the same size head as you and my 701's disappear on my head, I often forget I'm wearing them. I know this doesn't help you, but I guess my point is that I tried several brands and nothing came close to the 701's in terms of comfort on my big melon.

Feb 2, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by krugorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I upgraded last week to the AKG K 702 headphone. Initial comfort on the 702 is good, but the clamp pressure on the sides starts to get irritating within 5 minutes. Will they stretch out over time, or is this a common issue with the AKGs and large-headed people? My hat size is 7 5/8, so on the ginormous end of the head size scale.

I picked these cans up specifically because of a recommendation based on head size. Should I be looking at another brand?

I think I would like the Sennheiser house sound (home electronics are BAT tube/SS hybrid), but I have steered cleared based on posts here regarding clamp pressure. Are there any cans in their lineup that are better suited for larger craniums? HD 600?

I talked with HeadRoom and they pointed me in the direction of Denon. Any fellow jugheads like these?

Thanks for any input!

The wow was not for your head size (7 and 5/8ths) because that also happens to be mine too, it's that I found the K701/2s very comfortable...so much so that after a while I would forget that they were on.

Feb 2, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #8 of 23
Our crania are similarly proportioned. I own a pair of Denon D7000's and wear them at six clicks. I don't even know they're there.

Feb 2, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #10 of 23
K702 has average clamping force compare to some of the headphones I have.
Although, because of my small head, I can feel the clamping force on my jaw more than any where else.

I think this problem really depends on the unique shape of people's skulls...

And I can't imagine the clamping force will loosen over time with the K702, the thing is very sturdy.

Feb 2, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #11 of 23
I love the K701's comfort but I have a small head relative to most dinky di Aussies. The pads do soften slightly over time so that might be your only option. Try bashing them with some books to soften them up. I also find Senns comfortable [with some metal bending] and have them at the third smallest setting [2 clicks]. As for Denon size, well they just fit me on the smallest setting [zero clicks]. The same with Grados. You could look there.

Feb 2, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #13 of 23
I've got a large cranium too... and the K70x fit nice and securely...and comfy. Perhaps it is just a matter of getting used to them for you...

Feb 2, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #14 of 23
Thanks for all the posts - good stuff! I will check out the ATs and the Denons.

Quote:

Originally Posted by erd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K702 has average clamping force compare to some of the headphones I have.
Although, because of my small head, I can feel the clamping force on my jaw more than any where else.

I didn't think about it until reading your post, erd, but the upper jaw is exactly where I am feeling the pressure!

Feb 2, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by krugorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all the posts - good stuff! I will check out the ATs and the Denons.

I didn't think about it until reading your post, erd, but the upper jaw is exactly where I am feeling the pressure!

Yeah, I think that's a design flaw on the K701/2... The overall shape is too circular for our heads
frown.gif
The HD650 also gives me similar problems, but that can be bent a little to lessen the pressure. I have tried AT, but not Denons. AT are very comfortable, a little too loose on my small head actually
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back