Headphones For Audio Engineering work.
Jul 23, 2003 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Funkstar De Luxe

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone. First off let me apologise for posting yet another "what one's should I buy topic". I tried searching but got a load of answers back (40+ pages!). Anyway, I'll get to the point. I'm about to start and an audio engineering course and need a pair of headphones to suit my needs. I'll mainly use them for Techno (not the 4/4 headbanning type) but will probibally have to suffer rock/indy too. I can afford to spend maybe £120 on them. There's so much info and branding out there that I got mixed up so came here for some much needed help. Thanks a lot!

Jul 23, 2003 at 7:52 PM Post #3 of 13
Look for the "studio" label.... though this can sometimes be VERY misleading. The Sony MDR-V6 Studio Monitor 's are an example of a good set made for that use. I assume you'll need isolation for your work?

And welcome to Head-Fi...

Jul 23, 2003 at 8:07 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Funkstar De Luxe
Hello everyone. First off let me apologise for posting yet another "what one's should I buy topic". I tried searching but got a load of answers back (40+ pages!).

Hmmm....isn't that a GOOD THING? 40+ pages means this question was likely asked many times in the past and hence within those 40+ pages is the answer you are looking for. I don't even know why we bother having a search if people are going to disregard the actual results of the search...
rolleyes.gif

Jul 23, 2003 at 8:11 PM Post #5 of 13
The Sony V-6, Senn hd-280, Ultrasone HFI-650 and AKG K271 all come to mind as cans that would work. They're all closed and efficient enough to not need an amp. The V-6 and hd-280 are both just under 100$ and do a good job as monitors, the v-6 has more midbass and the 280 has a smoother midrange.
The HFI-650 at 160$ is analytical and will reveal flaws in the recordind while the K271 at 180$ from what I understand is more forgiving. Both don't need an amp, but should sound better with one.

Jul 23, 2003 at 8:22 PM Post #7 of 13
ultrasone is supposed to be coming out with some new models... i don't know when.. but at $160 (i think that should be about 120 pounds) they would be the most analytical from what i read.. and they have great isolation from what i read as well.. just go to meier-audio.com and get some
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2003 at 8:53 PM Post #8 of 13
actualy 145 € is about 104£. Concidering your music taste trackmasters could be good match. only problem is you need to have that break every 2-3h's because the earsweat, if you dont change pads (beyerpads are extra 15£ making it up to 120£). 650's have good isolation, and can be used as 1 eared, if you need to do some concert engineering stuff (hear how the sound reflects back). They can tolerate lot of damage, they fold up.

Meier is cheap and reliable place to get em, I bought my 650 DE from there.

Jul 23, 2003 at 9:21 PM Post #11 of 13
Hey Funkstar De Luxe.

Welcome !!!

I have used a HD280 Pro from Sennheiser for live sound (FHO) and they work very well.

For recording, you may need some thing diferent when you can aford it because 280's are not reference cans. But they are good and will help anyway.

Hope it helps.

Best

Ari

Users who are viewing this thread

Back