Headphones for athletes
Jun 2, 2003 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Daedalus

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm a student Industrial Design in Holland and i'm doing an individual project concerning headphones for sporters. I have a few questions i would like to ask to you.

1. I'm doing a small market research on these headphones for sporters. Of course i found the ones from Philips/Sony/Koss but i'm not well-known in this world of headphones. Perhaps you know more headphones suitable for sporters and if you can tell the details that make them suitable.

2. I could need some detailed material explaining the working principle of headphones. I have looked the internet but couldn't find anything helpful.

3. I need to investigate the airflow around the head, especially the ears, when running/cycling. Maybe you know some material that can help me get started.

I know these questions are big for a first post, but i hope you can help me,
thnx

Daedalus

Jun 3, 2003 at 1:23 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Daedalus
Hi,

I'm a student Industrial Design in Holland and i'm doing an individual project concerning headphones for sporters. I have a few questions i would like to ask to you.

1. I'm doing a small market research on these headphones for sporters. Of course i found the ones from Philips/Sony/Koss but i'm not well-known in this world of headphones. Perhaps you know more headphones suitable for sporters and if you can tell the details that make them suitable.

2. I could need some detailed material explaining the working principle of headphones. I have looked the internet but couldn't find anything helpful.

3. I need to investigate the airflow around the head, especially the ears, when running/cycling. Maybe you know some material that can help me get started.

I know these questions are big for a first post, but i hope you can help me,
thnx

Daedalus

If one is jogging, the air flow around the head is of no significance, nor would there be significant wind noise therefrom. If one is bicycling, however, the phones should be as flat as possible, to shut out wind noise. Sony make a line of sport phones. What are you trying to accomplish?

Jun 3, 2003 at 3:00 AM Post #4 of 8
Hi Daedalus.

Sort of a wide open category, but I will give it a shot.

I am not sure what you mean by "sporters". I use Etymotic ER4S while weightlifting or using stationary bikes. I have run with them, but they isolate so well I get nervous, even if I am out in the desert. They are in the category "canal-phone", which means that they fit into the ear canal like earplugs. Amazing sound, stability, and freedom to move. The tradeoff is more than 20 db of isolation.

Now aerodynamics. The Etys have very little frontal area. However the reynolds number of the cables is in the vortex shedding range at typical human velocities. That means they will buzz or hum, and since they are close coupled to the ear canal, it can be distracting. This can be resolved by either twisting the leaders that go to the ear, or clipping the leads off carefully.

Another alternative is also a canal phone, the Shure E2C. It has more exposed area, but is still insignificant compared to other headphones, or even a pair of sunglasses. The cables hook up over the ear and are tensioned behind the head like a sunglasses cord. These are probably the most aerodynamic headphone available. Unfortunately they don't fit some people (me for instance).

Hope this helps.

gerG

Jun 3, 2003 at 11:02 AM Post #5 of 8
Well, thank you all

Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Scarpitti
If one is jogging, the air flow around the head is of no significance, nor would there be significant wind noise therefrom. If one is bicycling, however, the phones should be as flat as possible, to shut out wind noise. Sony make a line of sport phones. What are you trying to accomplish?

I'm trying to accomplish a redesign for the phones for sporters, especially cyclers because of the higher speed/airflow: Reducing noise and of course a stable fit (without tape!). First i'm trying to collect the important facts and after that i'll go to the drawing board, designing prototypes...

And, you might have noticed
biggrin.gif
, i don't know nothing about all the terms/working principles of headphones, are there any clear documents explaining all these?

Jun 3, 2003 at 2:43 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Daedalus
Well, thank you all

I'm trying to accomplish a redesign for the phones for sporters, especially cyclers because of the higher speed/airflow: Reducing noise and of course a stable fit (without tape!). First i'm trying to collect the important facts and after that i'll go to the drawing board, designing prototypes...

And, you might have noticed
biggrin.gif
, i don't know nothing about all the terms/working principles of headphones, are there any clear documents explaining all these?

'Sporters' is not a term I'm familiar with. Is that Euro-English?
confused.gif

Secondly, Sony already has an extensive line of phones for sport use. You should first see what they offer before you start, both to get ideas and to save yourself emarassment.

Jun 3, 2003 at 2:55 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by gerG
I use Etymotic ER4S ...I have run with them, but they isolate so well I get nervous, even if I am out in the desert.

gerG, I'm curious about this. I've tried some running with the Etymotic ER-6, which is great in the gym or walking around. However I found that the sound of one's feet hitting the ground was very loud with these phones. I didn't have the same issue with the Koss "The Plug", although it doesn't sound as good. Have you not come across the "thunmping" issue with the Er-4S?

You're right about the isolation, the Ety's are so isolating that you can really only use them for like trail running or the like. Its too isolating to be safe running when there are cars or bikes nearby or crossing.

BTW I agree with you in general, anything in the canal phone or earphone category, should in theory offer less aerodynamic problems than a regular headphone.

Jun 3, 2003 at 4:03 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Scarpitti
'Sporters' is not a term I'm familiar with. Is that Euro-English?
confused.gif

Secondly, Sony already has an extensive line of phones for sport use. You should first see what they offer before you start, both to get ideas and to save yourself emarassment.

Ow sorry, sporters means sportmen, its dutch but i thougt it was english as well.

And i saw the sony line, also the philips/nike line, and it's not the idea to bring my things on the market! It's just a research project i'm doing for school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back