Headphones for aspiring audio designer?
Nov 22, 2013 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jontasson

New Head-Fier
Hi! I need some guidance on what pair of headphones to buy (price: around $230). I'm very new to all of this so it's hard to know what's the best choice for me and my needs.

I've recently started to study Audio design (video games, movies etc) at the uni and I need something I can use in the studio while recording different sound effects and voice-over, something I can use when mixing those recordings but also when mixing/creating music. It would be great if I could use the headphones while out in the field when doing outdoor foley recordings as well.

I also listen to a lot of music on my free time so having a pair of headphones that can really bring out the best in the sound when listening to records or when sitting at my laptop is very important. I like most music, folk, indierock, hiphop is most common when I get to choose myself but I listen equally as much to different genres for reference listening during assignments in school.

A lot of the people in school recommend buying Sennheisers but I find the pads to small and narrow for my ears. I've tried a pair of ATH m50 as well and compared to sennheisers I like them way better but I want to know more about what's out there before making a decision. I've read on the forums that a lot of people seem to like Beyers D770 (dt990 also seems popular) but I'm not sure what's the better choice for me, mostly since I'm not exactly sure what to look for. (I don't have an amp connected to my personal laptop, will I be able to use phones like dt990 anyway?)

Hope you people will be able to give me some clearence in the matter.

Bless

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #2 of 7
Hiya, welcome to headfi. sorry about your wallet.
For sound mixing, neutral sounding phones like K240 are normally used.

I guess that you are looking for closed design headphones, since you said that you would use these phones in school.
Have you looked K550 or Vmoda? They can be easily driven.

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #3 of 7
Hiya, welcome to headfi. sorry about your wallet.
For sound mixing, neutral sounding phones like K240 are normally used.

I guess that you are looking for closed design headphones, since you said that you would use these phones in school.
Have you looked K550 or Vmoda? They can be easily driven.

Thank you very much, as a student i don't have that much to spend so budget is tight. I guess 150-200$ might actually be à bit low, i live in europe myself so it's hard to keep track on what's the usd is worth at the time. Maybe 160€ is more accurate, or around 140£.

Anyway, thank for the tip, I will check out those AKG-phones tomorrow. It's getting late over here. Haven't heard of V Moda though but ill make sure to check them out as well.

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #4 of 7
http://www.amazon.de/V-MODA-Crossfade-On-Ear-Kopfh%C3%B6rer-shadow/dp/B005HSDLCO/

http://www.amazon.de/AKG-K550-Premium-Kopfh%C3%B6rer/dp/B005CNR7B0

Nov 23, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 7
AKG seems nice, think i will get the k240 or AT's m50. V-Moda looks a bit like Sennheisers and im afraid that the pads will crush my ears.

But i can't really drop the idea of the dt880's (not sure why, i have never tried them myself). They seem to get great reviews and everybody talks about how comfy they are.
Will they suit my needs? Even though AKG might be better for getting a clear soundscape when mixing i will equally as much use these phones for enoying music, im afraid that the AKG's might be a little to unforgiving for that.

Btw will i need an amp to drive them(dt880) or is that just for absolute audiophiles who wants the most out of their headsets? I will prob get an amp later on but it's nothing i can afford atm.

Nov 23, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #6 of 7
well, K240 is semi open design, I am not sure if you can use them in school. They are very comfy and sound neutral.
Have you looked into sony V 7506?

Nov 24, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #7 of 7
  well, K240 is semi open design, I am not sure if you can use them in school. They are very comfy and sound neutral.
Have you looked into sony V 7506?

I dont think using semi-open cans in school will be that much of a problem, I can see the benefits from having closed ones but we sit by our self so background noise from other students won't be a problem most of the time.

Nope, what whould make them suit me better then the k240's or m50's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back