Headphones for around 150 or less?
Jul 26, 2008 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jws919

New Head-Fier
I've done a little reading around the forums, but sorry if I've missed something that may have answered this.

I'm currently getting my Masters degree, and as such I do quite a bit of music/media usage from my laptop computer (dell xps1210). I use IEMs with my iPod and computer as of right now - I just upgraded from the Shure se210 to the Sleek-Audio SA6 for these and am very happy.

However, I know that when I'm home, full sized headphones will provide better sound (typically). So I want to get some opinions as to what I should buy.

The headphones will either be running off my laptop or my 80gb iPod classic. As I move quite a bit, I don't have a receiver worth note or any real quality sources to use.

Optimally, I'd like to spend $150 (less is, of course, better for my wallet). But, I do have the federal government to thank for all this money I'll be getting at the beginning of the term. The following list is a pretty good descriptor of what I listen to/watch (I've tried to give specific examples in parentheses):

Punk (Bad Religion, NoFX, A Wilhelm Scream)
Rock (Radiohead, Tool, Cake)
Metal (Protest the Hero, Between the Buried and Me, August Burns Red)
Softer Music (Sigur Ros, Jose Gonzalez, Imogen Heap)
Hip Hop (Sage Francis, Girl Talk, Talib Kweli)
Psy-Trance (Infected Mushroom)
TV (Slingbox - typically baseball and (American) football games from back home)
Video - (Usually .avi)

most of the music is NOT lossless. However, the majority is 192kbps-320kbps .mp3.

From what I've read here, it seems like the Grado SR-80 may be the best bet. I have fairly large ears, and some headphones have been very uncomfortable to me. The most comfortable have been the Bose Triports and this old Altec-Lansing headset I had when I competitively gamed.

I have no experience with amps, and as such have no idea what I should even look for. I'm a complete novice with amps, so please be clear in any and all explanations since I'll probably be clueless.

ALSO - as I move around a lot (I moved from Wisconsin to Ithaca, NY, to NYC in the past year - and move back to Ithaca in fall, then to DC in spring. After the spring, there is no telling where I could be). I also travel often. As such, headphones that are more portable than others receive special preference from an ease-of-movement type thing. Even though they won't be the primary thing I'm listening to in transit (got IEM for that), being easy to pack up and transport is important to me.

Sorry for the long post, but the people in the portable forum were so helpful, I was hoping the full-sized crew could match
tongue.gif

Thanks in advance

Jul 26, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #2 of 5
What you need is a Dnon D1000. It is portable, can take more punishment than a car in a Kentucky Derby, has a bass line and depth of significant proportion, and is around your budget. It will work off your laptop, but connect it to a CMoy type headamp or better and you can say goodbye to your headphone worries for quite some time.

Jul 27, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #4 of 5
I have the D1001 (same as 1000) and the Audio Technica ES7. They are both about the same price, but I prefer the sound of the ES7s.

If you don't need closed headphones, check out the numerous threads on the Grado SR60 and SR80. From what I read, they are the same headphone with different pads. I have the SR60s and bought a pair of the bowl pads used on the 80s to experiment. I prefer the stock pads on the 60s. To my ear the Grados show less improvement with an amp than either the ES7s or the D1001s, so if you don't have an amp you might prefer the Grados.

Lots of threads on all the phones mentioned. Search and read.

Mooch

Jul 31, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #5 of 5
I went and tried the whole grado line today. for the money, I'd probably go with the 60s.

they didn't have any denons so I don't really have anything to compare it to. I was overall impressed with the 60s and 80s for the price. probably could use something with touch more bass if there are any thoughts. Not a lot more, but a bit would be nice. If not possible, that's fine too, but you all know better than me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back