Headphones for around £50-£140?
Jun 11, 2012 at 6:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

tolks

New Head-Fier
Was hoping for suggestions of good headphones for around £50-£80. Would consider slightly more if it would make a large difference.

Main uses; gaming (with mixamp for surround sound), music and occasional movies.

Need closed-ear as purpose is to prevent annoying gf while she's working at home.

Jun 11, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #2 of 9
HD439 are nice for home and commuting, half decent positioning as well so no one sneaking up on you! Nice soft velour pads and detachable cable. There are not many good closed over ear cans around at this price range.

Jun 11, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the advice, what about in the £80 - £150 range? I've looked at a few different models, mainly from Audio Technica (A500 - A900) and Beyerdyanmics (DT770), but each time I think I've found one that sounds good, I seem to find another conflicting review saying the opposite.

Jun 11, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #4 of 9
At that price you have much more to choose from, Denon D1100 is a good choice, great soundstage for a closed can, the others you mention are all good cans , it gets down to the signature you prefer.

Jun 11, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #5 of 9
If you tell us about what music genres you listen to you'll probably get very specific recommendations, as that can be a strong deciding factor.

Jun 11, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #6 of 9
I really want something that is an all rounder due to the varied uses, in terms of music I'm fairly eclectic there also. If I were to order my uses in terms of time spent (starting from the most time spent) I'd say; games, music, movies (but games and music are fairly even).

I know I won't get "Excellent" in every aspect but "Jack of all" would be good.

The Denon look quite nice, ill have a look into them.

Jun 11, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
I really want something that is an all rounder due to the varied uses, in terms of music I'm fairly eclectic there also. If I were to order my uses in terms of time spent (starting from the most time spent) I'd say; games, music, movies (but games and music are fairly even).

I know I won't get "Excellent" in every aspect but "Jack of all" would be good.

The Denon look quite nice, ill have a look into them.

I'm sure those Denons won't disappoint. 

Jun 11, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #8 of 9
Any other options? just to get an idea about what is available. Read up about the denons, seem good for sound quality but a bit worried about durability. Cheers for help so far guys.

Jun 11, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #9 of 9
I've never actually heard the Audio Technica M50, but it's one of the most recommended headphones on head-fi today as (from what I've read and researched) does everything the beats headphones does, but better and at a better price.... but generally I try to audition anything before buying.
You might also want to research the Beyerdynamic DT770 (80 Ohm version) as a possible alternative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back