Headphones for Apogee Duet
Apr 16, 2008 at 1:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

WiredCon

100+ Head-Fier
I was wondering if Apogee Duet is good enough to bring out most of those high-end HPs potentials? I mean, those demanding HPs, such as HD 600/650, AKG 701 and DT880/990.

I'd like to know if I should limit myself with more efficient HPs, or I don't have to worry too much about it.

As I really wanna give it a try on some of Grado and AT phones, I would like to know if macbook pro with duet is a decent set-up where I can try these phones out.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan

Apr 16, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the MacBook Pro > Apogee Duet > Grado RS-1 setup is simply awesome.

I haven't yet had the pleasure of listening to the RS-1, but I use my Duet with my SR-225 almost daily and think the setup is very good. I don't know the Grado line well enough at this point to comment on whether the same headphones would sound better with other amps, but the only complaint I would have is that on certain recordings, the treble is a bit too much for me.

I will say with confidence, though, that the Duet and HD580 are outstanding together.

Apr 16, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't yet had the pleasure of listening to the RS-1, but I use my Duet with my SR-225 almost daily and think the setup is very good. I don't know the Grado line well enough at this point to comment on whether the same headphones would sound better with other amps, but the only complaint I would have is that on certain recordings, the treble is a bit too much for me.

I will say with confidence, though, that the Duet and HD580 are outstanding together.

Fifty percent of the time I add my SR-71 to the chain which certainly tames the highs on the Grados and adds a softer mellower more lush tone to the music. But the highs from the RS-1 are not shrill without the SR-71 and I do not find them fatiguing at all. In fact they add to the magic of the RS-1 sound overall. I add the SR-71 sometimes for certain types of music or recordings where the RS-1 needs help.

Apr 16, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #5 of 20
The Duet is doing a fine job driving my RS1s and DX1000s while I wait for my main amp to return following updates. I don't get quite the breadth of soundstage I'm used to with the DX1000s but otherwise sounds excellent, great clarity and no hint of brightness. I think the Duet's built-in amp is good enough to see you through a few headphone upgrades and then stand in as a main DAC. In my office system it's my only amp and I'm perfectly happy with it there, driving HD580s.

best,

o

Apr 16, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #6 of 20
I had no problem driving RS-2s out of the Duet, though adding an external tube amp was an improvement in some respects. I've since switched to HD650s and, while I thought the Duet again did a decent job with them, the difference with my Little Dot back in the chain is far more pronounced than I remember it being with the Grados.

Apr 17, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #7 of 20
Thanks for the inputs!

I got another question. Is it safe to assume that all those unique sound signitures from different headphones would remain the same on apogee duet?

I was wondering if those commonly known sound signitures would change on duet?

Thanks in advance.
Ryan

Apr 17, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #8 of 20
I would say anything except the K1000 would sound pretty decent!

Apr 17, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by WiredCon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the inputs!

I got another question. Is it safe to assume that all those unique sound signitures from different headphones would remain the same on apogee duet?

I was wondering if those commonly known sound signitures would change on duet?

Thanks in advance.
Ryan

I think the general consensus on the Duet is it's pretty much transparent, as you'd hope something designed for pro monitoring would be.

Apr 17, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #10 of 20
Ok, I'm narrowing down my choices to the following three HPs. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to know which one of these HPs is more involving and fun to listen to in general.

1. HD600
2. HD650
3. Grado 325i

All of the above phones can be obtained around 250 (used). and that's where i'd like to stay.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan

Apr 17, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #11 of 20
You know you want your whole setup to match.

Get the Beyer DT990, they look great next to the Macbook Pro and Apogee Duet.

Nov 11, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #13 of 20
hey,

i make music just as a hobby. i have duet and im looking for proper headphones for monitoring(non-colored/neutral sound) but i want to keep setup as simple as possible so im avoiding hp amp if it's not crucial.

i've been thinking dt880, k272 and hd650 as alternatives but does the duet support needed output power for all of those headphones as they have such varied impedances? like i said, im amateur so please you masters, guide me.

dt880 must be the top choice at the moment cause of the looks (mac/duet/dt880)!

Nov 11, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are in to making music, go K702.
If you want more like a party sound, go Ultrasone...

as being k701's followers are they really headphones for accurate "monitoring"? ive read many reviews that points them being the best headphones more like for listening music not to making it. isn't there going to be a possibility with k702 when my music sounds great and colorful with them and flatty/poor with some not-that-good audio system. in other words - problems in mixing.

..oh, and would those k702 or k701 work ok with duet without any hp amp?

thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back