Headphones for an iMP-350
Jan 23, 2002 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Kuja

Head-Fier
Ok here's the iMP-350's page with a bit of tech info down the bottom http://www.iriveramerica.com/products/imp350_slimx.html
and I was looking for a good pair of headphones (under about $75) to use with them - good bass is a must and I wanted them to look schweet
biggrin.gif

Therefore I was looking at the Sennheiser HD 495's and I've heard two things - one that the bass isn't too good and second that they need a fair bit of power to get any volume so a portable cd/mp3 player might not have good enough output to power the drivers (I dont know jack about audio so forgive any stoopid stuff i say). Can you guys recommend anything else that looks as good but is more suited for portable audio and has better bass?

ta
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2002 at 1:34 AM Post #4 of 10
let's see....

for your specific uses, the 495's would be a bad choice.

that leaves the 497's, which are easier to drive, and sound much better, and are cheaper. however, teh 497's aren't built all that well, and they dont look like all that, either. You are basically paying for sound quality with the 497's....

info's hearsay.

Jan 23, 2002 at 1:35 AM Post #5 of 10
Just get KSC-35's.

I've seen HD490/495 build...its a headphone model that looks better in packaging or in pictures than it does on your head. The KSC-35 looks plain, but looks fine on your head. You can walk around with inconspicuous clip-ons, or a shiny silver painted pair of bigger phones. Not to say they look bad, but that they aren't that great for portable styling.

If you care about how something looks, its good to pay attention to how they actually look when worn just like clothes.

The KSC-35's are portable phones...and they are probably the only headphone people agree on as being one of the biggest price/performers.

Jan 23, 2002 at 1:35 AM Post #6 of 10
The 497s are built like crap. The 495s aren't great, but aren't bad.

I would reccomend some Koss KSC-50s with some croakies, or some KSC-35s. Look in the headphone value thread about the KSC-50s and 35s
smily_headphones1.gif

Other then that, if you want good bass, I would reccomend the Grado SR-60s. No, they aren't very bassy headphones at all, but I love their bass myself. It is quite present, and has a nice impact that feels different, maybe even better then my HD600s. It isn't exxagerated, and might be a bit light, but I find it highly enjoyable. They also go to ear bleeding levels off of any input, so they are quite easily driven too. I wouldn't reccomend to just buy them though, I would highly reccomend an audition as they do have a nasty coloration (Well, it is nasty to me) which can make some stuff just not sound so good, like Piano.

Jan 23, 2002 at 4:43 AM Post #7 of 10
I'm a newbie, what are croakies
tongue.gif

I like the look of the 495's still but I'm about to order some 50's (because the 35's look stooooooooopid) so just go ahead and get some?

Jan 23, 2002 at 4:56 AM Post #8 of 10
Actually, when you get them ON your ears, the KSC-50's look stupider than the KSC-35's.

The KSC-50's look better in the box and in pictures, however. Plus, the 35's are more comfy, durable, and sound better.

Just a thought.

Jan 23, 2002 at 6:29 AM Post #9 of 10
i think the cosmetics between the 50s and 35s will always lead to some argument..like how some think the grados look retro while i think they look like ****
very_evil_smiley.gif

anyways, i dont think there is a HUGE sonic difference...i would be more concerned for the build quality of the 50s...that cord sucks like hell.

Then again, the 35s are impossible to find for >30 so i think the 50s still are a good deal for their present >15 price. Basically, its worth a shot since theyre so cheap!

my 2 cents
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2002 at 11:47 PM Post #10 of 10
Unlike what headroom says, sr-80's are driveable by portables. I would give them a try as i've been satisfied with mine. (for now
biggrin.gif
). An amp only makes them sound even better. hope my 2 cents help. The sweet part is kinda subjective. People say Grado's look retro. Some like, some don't. Purely subjective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back