Headphones for amateur monitoring (recording own stuff like guitar and stuf)
Jul 22, 2006 at 6:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

rob1031

100+ Head-Fier
hey guys, havent been on for a while, but im changing some stuff and wanna get a new pair of headphones.

well im goin to uni, and well im kinda thinking to get some monitoring headphones rather than my A900s, which lack mids ...not good for guitar eh?

im nto looking for expensive stuff, actually looking for a tight budget headphone. im kinda wondering what monitoring headphone i should get, with what sound card i should get for my new LAPTOP.

yes i wil be using a laptop, the IBM Z60m, and i wanna ask..what headphones would you recommend, with what soundcard, which i can use for listening to music, and record stuff easily. im looking for a rather SIMPLE setup, just plug and play, and plug and record- just dont want that much noise. i got the emu 0404 and it was too much hassle for me with all the controls and stuff i couldnt plug and play,so i sold it.

i was thinking about headphones- the sony V6 or the alternative version called something else. ooh, i also, if possible, want to bring it around, (not necesary but would be good) to watch movies say..in the bus or someitnhg?haha
price range would be good around $100-150 tops. this is because i need the soundcard.

Jul 22, 2006 at 8:33 AM Post #5 of 15
I would say go out and get you some Grados (like my man a couple floors up)
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 22, 2006 at 10:08 AM Post #6 of 15
When I see "guitar" I think "Alessandro" and when I see "plug and play" on a laptop, I think "Alessandro MS-1" with a 1/8" plug.

And the price is at the low end of your range!!

Jul 22, 2006 at 2:31 PM Post #7 of 15
well AKG is possible, cause i know they need amps, i do have a good cmoy.

Alessandro MS-1 might be a good idea as well, i thought about them.

maybe some of you guys could throw some possibilities of AKGs? they sound like they;re more detailed and stuff, maybe better for monitoring.

for AKG- ones thats might be in my price range at a local shop: AKG 271 US$150 , AKG K240M or K240S US$128
the Alessandro MS-1 is US$107 and the SR-80 is $101. SR-60 is $75.
whats a good deal (as i dont know international prices) for me?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #8 of 15
If you have a decent amp, I think DT770s (beyerdynamic) would be your best choice, as you probably want your music to be impactful. I play myself, and always find myself changing the settings so it won't sound too airy. While grados are a good choice, they aren't suitable for monitoring due to the fact that they can be pretty innacurate, especially for the lower end. The HP series from grado is for monitoring (or anything from Joseph) but you probably don't want to spend that much right now.

Jul 22, 2006 at 2:37 PM Post #9 of 15
I forgot you are using a guitar amp; that should solve any amp issues (assuming it's a good one).

Jul 22, 2006 at 3:02 PM Post #10 of 15
i acutally meant i will be monitoring the music through the computer. i only have a good cmoy.

dont really understand what you mean by the guitar amp..heaphones haev nothing to do with the GUITAR amp.

Jul 22, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #11 of 15
you want the EMU 1616 or if you can afford the EMU 1616M

hands down the absolute best laptop recording interface on the market!! For what you get, the $300-400 is well worth it. Plus, if you don't always want to lug the breakout box with you, the pc card will still work in your laptop, and it has a really nice headphone out... so you would be upgrading your source immensely! I'm looking at purchasing one myself very soon

If you are looking for a less expensive alternative, echo makes the INDIGO IO card that can do the job for around $120, but u only get a 1/8" jack, so you would need a mixer or something to give u just a line out to the laptop.

Jul 22, 2006 at 3:43 PM Post #12 of 15
Does your amp have a line in/line out feature? Or just basic input and headphone jack?

Jul 23, 2006 at 2:07 PM Post #14 of 15
well i guess all i want is a pretty good headphone that is suitable for monitoring when editing my music stuff, so quite detailed, price is $150 tops, and i only got a cmoy amp which can boost the sound a bit.

so im thinknig K271S (but would it be similar/not as good as my A900; closed headphone , lower price), or maybe like the MS-1 which would be a different headphone to the a900, open and better for guitar music. what other possibilities are there?

Jul 23, 2006 at 5:13 PM Post #15 of 15
The least expensive, and yet reasonable sounding monitoring headphone available is the Sony MDR-7506. Under 100 bux. They don't need an amp because they're very sensitive. They should serve you well until you're ready to step up to something more expensive with an amp.

Oh, and as far as using your laptop as a source... Don't even consider driving an external amp from the headphone jack on your laptop. You need to get something with a USB DAC built in to bypass all the crufty analog electronics in the laptop for a true improvement in sound. Consider the HeadRoom Total Bithead.

Edit: If you can swing the EMU-1616, I second the suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back