Headphones for about $50
Aug 10, 2013 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

VaultBoy13

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for stereo headphones basically for music and gaming, also movies sometimes. I have about $50. They will be used at home and they don't have to got a microphone, 'cause I do own separate one. I don't like when high tones are too loud. My sound card is Creative SoundBlaster Live! 5.1. I consider Koss ur40 and Superlux Hd668B. What do you recommend?

Aug 10, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:
I'm looking for stereo headphones basically for music and gaming, also movies sometimes. I have about $50. They will be used at home and they don't have to got a microphone, 'cause I do own separate one. I don't like when high tones are too loud. My sound card is Creative SoundBlaster Live! 5.1. I consider Koss ur40 and Superlux Hd668B. What do you recommend?

Gemini HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro 80) closed headphones, sells on eBay for $50
As the HSR-1000 are closed, not sure they would have as good a surround sound as open headphones.
but the sound quality is the best I know of, for a $50 headphone.

You might consider replacing the SB Live 5.1 with a Sound Blaster Titanium (non-HD), sells on eBay for around $50.
Even a $20 Asus Xonar DG sound card should improve audio quality over the Live.

Aug 12, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #4 of 12
Get the JVC HAS400 or HAS500. These have great detail, and feel solidly built. I love my HAS400. You might have to order the HAS500 from Japan, while the HAS400 is sold in the US.

Aug 12, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #5 of 12
i recommend you the Superlux EVO. Its better than most cans i've heard in the 100 - 150€ Euro range. They only cost about 28 Euros = 37,22 Dollars. You get pleather pads AND velour pads (better than the AKG K240 ones). cable is detachable etc. If you like the sound of AKG cans i would recommend you the Superlux HD681B (even cheaper, like 20 Euros). Teamed up with SHURE SRH 940pads, easilly the best Superux in my opinion.

However, if you are treble-sinsitive, i would buy the EVO  ;D

Aug 14, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #7 of 12
This is going to sound a little funny, but please hear me out. Try the Koss Porta Pro. And if your feeling whimsical a Kramer Mod, can make them really the best $50 headphone ever. It's a tiny little headphone but it's a magical one! 

Aug 14, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #9 of 12
I actually prefer the JVC HA-S400 to the S500. The S500 has more bass emphasis, and I think the S400 competes well with any headphone in the $50 range. You can pick it up off Amazon UK for £20 :)

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
i recommend you the Superlux EVO. Its better than most cans i've heard in the 100 - 150€ Euro range. They only cost about 28 Euros = 37,22 Dollars. You get pleather pads AND velour pads (better than the AKG K240 ones). cable is detachable etc. If you like the sound of AKG cans i would recommend you the Superlux HD681B (even cheaper, like 20 Euros). Teamed up with SHURE SRH 940pads, easilly the best Superux in my opinion.

However, if you are treble-sinsitive, i would buy the EVO  ;D

The Superlux EVO is an excellent headphone indeed. I really love the smooth treble (I am treble sensitive as well), deep bass and soundstage. I also have the JVC s400 and it's a very good headphone, but it's no match for the EVO as it just doesn't have that deep bass or the soundstage. The velour pads are super comfy and the detachable cable is a huge plus.

However, I would avoid the Superlux HD681B like the plague. This headphone has the worst treble I had ever heard. If you listen to guitar solos, piano tunes or violins you will notice how excessive the treble is as it will cause you physical pain.

Aug 15, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #11 of 12
@kokakolia . . . I agree with you, if you leave the 681b as it is with the standard pleather pads, the treble is pretty harsh. But try and put on some shure 940 or akg k240 pads on them . . . You will be amazed, what a difference it makes. Treble becomes smoother, bass more defined, sounds like a better - more- detailed EVO ;D

After this experiment i knew, what a big difference pads can make. I didn't believed in that stuff before, i thought it was voodoo-talk. So if you still have your. 681b, pleaaase try, you'll be amazed my friend ;D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back