Headphones for a working environment
Feb 14, 2012 at 9:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

WiR3D

We intend to hurt him...quite a bit. very_evil_smiley.gif
Hi all

Im a long time lurker of these forums, finally signed up the other day.

I currently own Denon D2000 and I've had them for about a year, learnt about FLACs and WASAPI and amping with them so I've quite a memorable time with them, and the best part, is that the cable is office chair proof.

Anyway I need a set of cans for me at work, there are a number of reasons i cant use the Denons, namely i dont want to drag them everywhere, they leak sound like a molases, and the bass is "TOO" good, it distracts me when i try to work, and i want to expand my arsenal.

What i need:
  1. supreme comfort
  2. low sound leakage (doesnt have to be perfect, so around the AKG 242 level [3 feet])
  3. not alot of bass (I love it, but medium/high levels distract me too much)
  4. It would be a plus if its easily driven, but not crucial.
  5. short OR interchangable OR strong cable
  6. I think a laid back sound is less distracting
  7. NO sibilance, im quite sensetive to it and it really makes me cringe.
  8. pricing: ZAR 2000 ~ USD 250 ~ EUR 200 ~ HKD 2000

The sites i would prefer to use are
headphonehk.com
thomann.de

Simply because i stay in South Africa and things just tend to work out cheaper from those locations.
(I am open to others.)

I WAS looking at the Ultrasone 780 simply because i have been eyeing one for a while, but i think the bass will be a bit much (I might buy them anyway just because i want them, but not for office usage.) I also came across the AKG k701, which apparently leaks sound, but at the price im getting them... its hard to say no.

So suggestions?

P.S for what its worth I will probably invest in a Hisound RoCoo P aswell within the next months.

Feb 14, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #2 of 8
Heya,

Ultrasone is going to be a little sibilant for you.
K701's leak like any open headphone does. Also, cord is not going to be right for you. K702 at least has detachable cord. And Q701 has better everything for someone who likes music, but again, all open air. So big leak.

Look at:

Fischer Audio FA-003 (or Brainwavz HM5 clone)
AudioTechnica A900X (or if you can afford it, not sure what this costs, but this one: A1000X)
AKG K271 MKII

Very best,

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #3 of 8
Eish

The AKG Q701 and AT A1000X are a bit much for my budget...

I was just mentioning the Ultrasone and the AKG because i like them, not because they fulfill my needs.

The AKG K271 MK II interests me, why that one?
I have people say the 242 is heavier on bass which confuses me since its semi-open?

Im looking into the Fischer Audio FA-003 now

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
Eish

The AKG Q701 and AT A1000X are a bit much for my budget...

Iwas jsut mentioning the Ultrasone and the AKG because i like them, not because they fullfill me needs.

The AKG K271 MK II interests me, why that one?
I have people say the 242 is heavier on bass which confuses me since its semi-open?

Im looking into the Fischer Audio FA-003 now

Heya,

K271 MKII fills your needs. Closed and isolates nicely, detachable cord, doesn't have strong Denon bass. The only thing it may be questionable about is supreme comfort, since that is relative to the user.
The FA-003 with velour pads will definitely will all of your needs. Isolation, comfort, all of it. It's an excellent headphone in all ways. Highly recommended.

Open/closed doesn't really matter for bass. How they tuned the headphone for bass matters. There are closed headphones with no bass. And open headphones with super bass. It's just based on what they designed and intended usage.

Very best,

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #5 of 8
THank you for all the help @MalVeauX.
I think I'm going to do some more reading, will most likely get the FA-003, expand my horizons a bit.

Im buying the Girlfriend an AKG K142HD, and ill save up and get the K702 it the differences between the K701 and it are that great (if i had to do a direct conversion for how much I can get it for its EUR 160 for the K701, and EUR 320  EUR 260 for the K702) I dont know something about AKGs just turns my nipples. Same story with the Ultrasones.

But from what I read about the FA-003 it looks like it will be perfect for the office environment.

The reason i asked about the AKG K271 MK II is because im hard pressed to a find a difference between that and the K272 (if there are any.)

EDIT:price change

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
THank you for all the help @MalVeauX.
I think I'm going to do some more reading, will most likely get the FA-003, expand my horizons a bit.

Im buying the Girlfriend an AKG K142HD, and ill save up and get the K702 it the differences between the K701 and it are that great (if i had to do a direct conversion for how much I can get it for its EUR 160 for the K701, and EUR 320 for the K702) I dont know something about AKGs just turns my nipples. Same story with the Ultrasones.

But from what I read about the FA-003 it looks like it will be perfect for the office environment.

The reason i asked about the AKG K271 MK II is becasue im hard pressed to a find a difference between that and the K272 (if there are any.)

The K272 has velvet pads, the K271 has leather. The K272 is the "luxury" one. It will have slightly less bass response in the low end. It's a very reference headphone. If you're really after an AKG, I would really suggest going for the Q701. Maybe hunt a used one down to save some money.
If you really want an Ultrasone, I'd suggest trying to get the PRO 650 based on your needs and sound preferences.

Very best,

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #7 of 8
Although it does not have a detachable chord the Sony MDR-ZX700's fit the other criteria although comfort again is a subjective thing. They isolate great, are easy to drive and don't boom bass nor pierce your ears with mids and highs. The mids and highs are very laid back and balanced. The only thing I would say is they don't have a very exciting signature sound. But they are reasonably priced and can take a bit of a knock (the cable is also short - 4 feet - and thick but not sure how it would fare if you tried to get up with it under the wheels of a office chair).

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #8 of 8
I had a look at the Sony MDR-ZX700, apparently they make you sweat after 20-30 min, so thats not gonna work.
Thanks anyway.

I do like the reviews I'm getting about the FA-003, and many are wondering how it compares to the Denon AH-D2000 which i own, so I may get them and do a review, If they come anywhere as close ill be impressed.

As for the Ultrasone and the AKG, ill save that for another day, or possibly get the AKG 242 or 272 just to play with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back